"365 Days of Beaches" Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua and Barbuda by cjg1
Antigua and Barbuda Travel Guide: 443 reviews and 1,392 photos
Antigua; another beautiful island in the Caribbean with its own charms. Antigua is known for its beaches; 365 of them....one for every day of the year. The crystal blue waters, the powder sand, the friendly islanders and the carefree feeling is what draws you in.
Our first visit to Antigua was during a Celebrity Cruise in December 2011/January 2012. We had a fun time exploring the St. John's area, shopping and enjoying some local drinks. It was such a good time that we have already booked a trip to Antigua for October 2012.
Our second visit during October 2012; we landed in the midst of hurricane Raphael. It made it an interesting first two days of our trip but we still enjoyed ourselves. Our most recent trip was October 2013; for my wife's birthday. We had celebrated here the year before with friends but decided we'd like an "alone" trip this year. We had a great time with some beautiful weather, tasty food and fun people.
The Arawak Indians were the first to settle Antigua and then came the Caribs. It was much later the Europeans found this island and began to colonize thanks to Christopher Columbus. This explorer is who gave the island the name Antigua after a Cathedral in Spain.
With the Europeans came the horrible practice of slavery; with thousands of Africans being forced into slavery working the sugar can plantations of the island. Slavery was fortunately abolished in 1834 but not forgotten by the native Antiguans who still rember the stories of slaves being shot, hanged and slaughtered by the plantation owners.
I've seen beautiful sunsets and sunrises around the world but never take a single one for granted. Each one has it's own unique colors and development that always leave me in awe of nature. During our last trip in 2013 we had some beautiful sunsets and even took advantage of the onsite photographer to capture some incredible shots of me and my wife.
On my wife's birthday we woke early for an early morning 5am swim. We watched the full moon set and the sky change colors as the sun rose in the sky. To me this was a magical moment and one that I was happy to have with my wife.
Depending on what resort you are staying; check ahead for dress codes posted on their websites. At our particular... more travel advice
We arrived at V.C. Bird International Airport around 11am. After collecting our bags and going through immigration we... more travel advice
- See All Taxi Drivers
- See All Cocktails with our Butlers
- See All Wonderful Spa Products
- See All Dinner by the Beach
cjg1's Related Pages
Antigua and Barbuda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antigua - on a shoestring"
- "365 Days of Beaches"
- "Antigua for a Day!"
- "AntigA with U"
- "Antigua Wedding 2004"
- "Antigua & Barbuda"
- "Antigua, the island of 365 beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antigua and Barbuda
- Hotels in Antigua and Barbuda
- Transportation in Antigua and Barbuda
- Nightlife in Antigua and Barbuda
- Restaurants in Antigua and Barbuda
- Shopping in Antigua and Barbuda
- Warnings and Dangers in Antigua and Barbuda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antigua and Barbuda
- 87 Reviews
- 355 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Antigua and Barbuda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antigua and Barbuda
- updated a Antigua and Barbuda Travelogue "Liz's Birthday October 2013"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Liz's Birthday October 2013"
- Wrote a Review Resort Dress Codes in Antigua and Barbuda What to Pack
- Commented on one of cjg1's Antigua and Barbuda tips
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Caribbean Cruises Questions"
Photos in Antigua and BarbudaSee All Photos (355)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 350 reviews, 1414 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 191 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 148 reviews, 516 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Lauderdale Intro, 112 reviews, 474 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providenciales Island Intro, 99 reviews, 461 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 185 reviews, 364 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 147 reviews, 341 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mahé Intro, 86 reviews, 397 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 105 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua and Barbuda Intro, 87 reviews, 355 photos, 6 travelogues