"365 Days of Beaches" Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua and Barbuda by cjg1

Antigua and Barbuda Travel Guide: 441 reviews and 1,393 photos

Antigua; another beautiful island in the Caribbean with its own charms. Antigua is known for its beaches; 365 of them....one for every day of the year. The crystal blue waters, the powder sand, the friendly islanders and the carefree feeling is what draws you in.

Our first visit to Antigua was during a Celebrity Cruise in December 2011/January 2012. We had a fun time exploring the St. John's area, shopping and enjoying some local drinks. It was such a good time that we have already booked a trip to Antigua for October 2012.

Our second visit during October 2012; we landed in the midst of hurricane Raphael. It made it an interesting first two days of our trip but we still enjoyed ourselves. Our most recent trip was October 2013; for my wife's birthday. We had celebrated here the year before with friends but decided we'd like an "alone" trip this year. We had a great time with some beautiful weather, tasty food and fun people.

The Arawak Indians were the first to settle Antigua and then came the Caribs. It was much later the Europeans found this island and began to colonize thanks to Christopher Columbus. This explorer is who gave the island the name Antigua after a Cathedral in Spain.

With the Europeans came the horrible practice of slavery; with thousands of Africans being forced into slavery working the sugar can plantations of the island. Slavery was fortunately abolished in 1834 but not forgotten by the native Antiguans who still rember the stories of slaves being shot, hanged and slaughtered by the plantation owners.

Beautiful Sunsets and Sunrises

I've seen beautiful sunsets and sunrises around the world but never take a single one for granted. Each one has it's own unique colors and development that always leave me in awe of nature. During our last trip in 2013 we had some beautiful sunsets and even took advantage of the onsite photographer to capture some incredible shots of me and my wife.

On my wife's birthday we woke early for an early morning 5am swim. We watched the full moon set and the sky change colors as the sun rose in the sky. To me this was a magical moment and one that I was happy to have with my wife.

• Last visit to Antigua and Barbuda: Oct 2013
  • Intro Updated Oct 28, 2013

Comments

cjg1

“There is no such thing as once in a lifetime unless you didn't like it.”

Badges & Stats in Antigua and Barbuda

Have you been to Antigua and Barbuda?