"An Island with a Family Connection" Top 5 Page for this destination St. Thomas by cjg1
St. Thomas Travel Guide: 471 reviews and 1,307 photos
I was excited to first visit St. Thomas. I had never visited St. Thomas before and was curious if the reviews were accurate. We began our adventure with a bit of shopping and a gondola ride up to Paradise Point. There were some incredible views of St. Thomas, the harbor and we could even see Puerto Rico in the distance. After our ride we headed into Charlotte Amelie for some lunch and sightseeing.
St. Thomas was better than I expected. The island was beautiful The beaches were incredible and the hillsides were magnificent. The people of St. Thomas were very friendly and we felt very safe walking around. Liz and I enjoyed exploring the island, shopping,sampling the local cuisine and just enjoying each others company. It was a wonderful time! It's no surprise we have returned again to this lovely island.
Liz has two Uncles living on St. Thomas. Her uncles moved here in the 1960's when the island wasn't the big tourist destination it is today. Her Uncle Tom is a well known local artist. It's nice that I can say I have relatives on this lovely island.
Liz grew up with care packages arriving from St. Thomas filled with dolls, books and local trinkets from her Uncles. Her favorite was a Raggedy Anne doll with a bit of Caribbean flair, which she still has to this day.
St. Thomas is one of the US Virgin Islands with Charlotte Amelie s the capitol. St. Thomas was spotted by Christopher Columbus during his second voyage to the New World. Pirates also used St. Thomas as a base for over 150 years. In 1917, the US purchased the islands of St. Thomas, St. Croix and St. John. During the 1970's and 1980's tourism boomed on the island and lead to some major building and commercial enterprises.
The island has also seen some devastation from hurricanes over the years: Andrea, Hugo, Luis and Marilyn. Liz's Uncles have survived the hurricanes and even were trapped under a mattress during one storm before neighbors found and rescued them.
- In a nutshell:A Wonderful Island Adventure
A good friend of mine had recommended this store. He family has been shopping here for over twenty years and has always... more travel advice
Sunsets in the Caribbean can be magical. There is nothing I love more than watching sunset from a balcony; seeing the... more travel advice
- See All Experimental Cocktails
- See All Harbour Walks
- See All Miss Hattie's Hot Sauce
- See All Overly Aggressive Vendors
- See All Iguanas of Charlotte Amalie
cjg1's Related Pages
St. Thomas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Island with a Family Connection"
- "St. Thomas"
- "St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands"
- "A Jumping off Place for the Virgin Islands"
- "St. Thomas"
- "St. Thomas U.S.V.I"
- "St. Thomas, Virgin Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in St. Thomas
- Hotels in St. Thomas
- Transportation in St. Thomas
- Nightlife in St. Thomas
- Restaurants in St. Thomas
- Shopping in St. Thomas
- Warnings and Dangers in St. Thomas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in St. Thomas
- 88 Reviews
- 266 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to St. Thomas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in St. Thomas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 351 reviews, 1414 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 217 reviews, 692 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 195 reviews, 659 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 154 reviews, 633 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 152 reviews, 539 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Lauderdale Intro, 112 reviews, 474 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 189 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providenciales Island Intro, 99 reviews, 461 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mahé Intro, 86 reviews, 397 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 105 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues