"Big Island Explorations" Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) by cjg1

Hawaii (Big Island) Travel Guide: 1,904 reviews and 4,709 photos

I had first visited the Big Island many years ago to explore Hilo, some waterfalls and one of the volcanos. It was a short one day trip.

I recently returned in February 2013 with my wife as one of our stops along our Hawaiian Cruise. We arrived in Hilo and took a day tour. The tour brought us to several waterfalls including Akaka and Rainbow Falls. My wife loves waterfalls so it was important for me that she get her fill of these beuatiful sights while we were here. It was an incredible visit, as it had been raing for several days prior to our visit, and the waterfalls were at full gushing. It was a fun time, and we saw many beautiful waterfalls, a macadamia nut plantation, some lava tubes, gorgeous coastline and had a great BBQ by a waterfall.

Our cruise also brought us to Kona the following day;it was a first time for both my wife and I. We spent our short time here enjoying some restaurants and bars, exploring the town and shopping. The main street of Ali'i Way was full of cute shops and historic spots to explore. We enjoyed this relaxing day very much.

Our highlight of this trip though was the evening sail out of Hilo. We were able to watch the lava flow in the darkness as it journeyed into the ocean. It was amazing sitting on our balcony and watching the fiery red lava cascade into the ocean waters....what an experience!

• Last visit to Hawaii (Big Island): Feb 2013
  • Intro Updated Mar 13, 2013

• triplehelix's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 3:29 PM

how did you like hawaii?? akaka falls is always empty for some reason! i think no one bothers to find it because its a little out of the way. next time you're here give me a call, i'll be glad to show you around.

cjg1

“There is no such thing as once in a lifetime unless you didn't like it.”

Badges & Stats in Hawaii (Big Island)

Have you been to Hawaii (Big Island)?

Latest Activity in Hawaii (Big Island)