Queens Restaurant Tips by cjg1 Top 5 Page for this destination

Queens Restaurants: 40 reviews and 65 photos

Gnocchi Gorgonzola - Queens

Gnocchi Gorgonzola

Ornella Trattoria: Incredible Italian in Astoria! Ornella Trattoria Review

Ornella's is a new Italian resturant in Astoria and quite honestly a gem. The owners are friends of my brother in law. We have been here twice for family diners and have loved it. The restaurant is small but comfortable; we didn't feel cramped. The walls have painted murals to depict Italian street scenes. The walls are decorated in warm colors with colorful stained glass sconces on the walls. Ornella and her husband Giuseppe welcome every customer warmly; as if they are family. The menu has some Italian favorites and don't forget the specials. The food here is excellent and you can't go wrong with any item you chose. The portions are large, the prices are affordable, the food is incredible and fresh and the service is very attentive. What I really like about Ornella's is that you never feel rushed. You can relax and enjoy each course of the meal properly; savoring every bite.

Once you have been seated and settled in; your drink order is taken. They now have a liquor licence but you can bring your own wine for dinner if you choose. The waiters bring delicious fresh bread and bruchetta to the table. The foccacia bread is delicious and the bruchetta is very tasty. The hardest part is choosing from the menu and the specials....there are so many delicious items. Each course is served without rush; you can enjoy your food and wine as if you are in Italy. I dislike the American way of rushing diners to eat quickly and vacate a tabel....you will not find that here ar Ornella. After a delicious meal, enjoy some of their tasty desserts and a cappucino or espresso.

If you are in NYC; you must come to Ornella; it will be an memorable meal!

The waiters brought over some incredible bruchetta and a bread basket to start. The bruschetta was excellent and the home made bread was incredible. I liked the rustic bread dipped in their extra virgin olive oil. Our wine was opened and water was brought to the table as we perused the menu. After deciding on some appetizers of fried calmari and clams oreganata we ordered our main dishes. I had the Seafod Risotto; Liz and Bessie had the gnocchi in a gorgonzola cream sauce, Rob had the Spaghetti omadoro and Marie and Bob had the penne with chicken. The appetizers we good but notheing to rave home about but my entree was incredible. The shrimp, clams, crabmeat and mussels were very fresh and the risotto was creamy and delicious. Everyone agreed that their entrees were very good especially Liz and Bessie who finished their plates before anyone else.For dessert a large platter was brought over with some italian cheesecake and Tiramisu. The cheeecake and Tiramisu was very good and we enjoyed stuffing more into our already full stomachs.

I would recommend this restuarant for its great atmosphere, god service and delicious food. It feels as if you are eating in Ornella's home and not a restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Penne con Pollo is my favorite dish. The pasta is very fresh and the chicken is delicious. The appetizers here are very good especially the baked clams and fried calamari. Our last visit here Giuseppe brought out a plate of lightly battered and fried Sardines; they were excellent. My wife loves their Gnocchi Gorgonzola. The gnocchi are nice and light while the gorgonzola cream sauce is creamy and thick.

Address: 29-17 23rd Avenue

Directions: Astoria

Theme: Italian

• Updated Jun 4, 2010
Shrimp Rolls. - Queens

Shrimp Rolls.

Tangra Masala: Indian/Chinese Fusion Tangra Masala Review

Tangra Asian Fusion is a HUGE restaurant. Easily fit several hundred in here so they had plenty of room for our group of 13.

We were set up at a table in the center of the room and could see some sort of bridal shower at the end of the room up on a raised floor.

The dining area is very well decorated and I was happy with the environment.

Favorite Dish: Not everyone ate here due to the fact we had mostly eaten before hand at La Portena. The food served and shared family style by our group was excellent. I highly recommend the lollipop chicken and shrimp rolls along with many of the dishes.

Address: 39-23 Queens Blvd.

Directions: 7 Train to 40th Street/Lowery

Phone: 718 786 8181

Beef and Quilmes - Queens
La Porteña: Beef and Quilmes La Porteña Review

Stuffed Meat and Quilmes.

We came here as stop number one of the VT food tour Saturday June 16. I suggested most stick to the appetizer menu since the plan was to move to another place and eat again and again.

This led several of us to the stuffed meat and potato salad. The meat was good and the potato salad was great. Washed down with Quilmes and I was very happy with stop one. Several others among us went with wine for drinks and all were happy. The one full meal I know that was well enjoyed was the muscles. I did try one and they are quite good.

Address: 74-25 37th Ave., Jackson Heights, NY 11372

Comparison: about average

Directions: Near 75th St.

Phone: (718) 458-8111

Website: http://www.laportena-restaurant.com

Sunlite Diner: Breakfast place Sunlite Diner Review

This diner here is over across from Tangra in Sunnyside. We come here often for breakfast and have always been treated well. A small family run diner with limited parking they have seating for probably 40 or 50. You will always be welcomed and quickly waited on for drinks and if already ready, your order.

Favorite Dish: I usually get one of the breakfast specials. All are fairly affordable with only one or two going over the six or seven dollar range. One thing of note is that the home fries are some of the best around the city and I always make sure no matter what I order I get some.

I have read that this place also has one of the best diner Burgers anywhere. So next time I go I will be trying that.

Address: 3914 Queens Blvd. Sunnyside

Comparison: less expensive than average

Phone: (718) 937-2220

Theme: Diner

Cup Diner and Bar: Ok Lunch place Cup Diner and Bar Review

This is one of the places we frequent for work lunches. Its not terrible and I am warming up to it after my first experience with it a while ago. They have a very large open dining area with a bar in the island in the middle of the room. You can watch several major events here as they have many well-positioned flat panel televisions throughout the room.

Almost all meals here are less than $10.

Favorite Dish: I really liked the Greek Burger. It is a pita filled with feta cheese and chopped tomatos. Paired with steak fries and a coke it made for a nice work approved lunch.

I have also had the fish and chips here and this I would not recommend. It did not sit well with me and I did not like it.

Address: 35-01 36th Street

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Cross street is 35th Street.

Rating: 3

Theme: American

5 Burros: My vote for best Mexican 5 Burros Review

Best Of: Mexican.

I first came to this restaurant back in 2003. What a great top to a fantastic day. It was my first time Forest Hills and I had a great guide. I admit when she first suggested Mexican for dinner I was a little reluctant but when she promised it would some of the best I’ve ever had I decided I had to know for sure. And now I don’t stop raving about it.

The food here never disappoints and the drinks do quite well as well. On weekends you can get food until 1am with other days being midnight. Of course in true NYC outer borough style the place stays open until 4am each night as a bar.

Each drink came with a small plastic toy usually in the shape of an animal. The couple at a table very near us was having quite the fun time with these toys. The shark toy was bigger than the glass. Just a unique feature to this place.

Address: 72-05 Austin St

Phone: (718) 544-2984

Price: US$21-30

Rating: 5

Theme: Mexican

Website: http://www.5burrocafe.com

Good Desserts - Queens
Laziza of NY Pastry Shop: Good Desserts Laziza of NY Pastry Shop Review

This was quite the interesting dessert shop. I was happy to see it although the rain was a mild damper on things.

I had a sponge cake roll. Others sampled many of the wonderful delights to be found here.

Address: 25-78 Steinway Street

Theme: Mexican

• Written Nov 14, 2006
Colombian - Queens
Cositas Ricas: Colombian Cositas Ricas Review

Ok. So maybe we ordered the wrong items, but we were not thrilled with this place. A medium sized diner specializing in Colombian and Latin food.

Favorite Dish: I do not remember the names of what we ate but you can see pics of it all here. The beef and pork dishes were good but the chicken did not impress. We did take takeout home for Kristara. So hopefully she enjoyed hers more.

Address: 79-19 Roosevelt Ave., Jackson Heights

Directions: 7 Train to 82nd street and Roosevelt Avenue

Phone: (718) 478-1500

Rating: 2

• Updated Nov 8, 2006

cjg1 Visits Here Frequently!

cjg1

“There is no such thing as once in a lifetime unless you didn't like it.”

Badges & Stats in Queens