"Blue Mountains Adventure" Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park by cjg1

Blue Mountains National Park Travel Guide: 342 reviews and 1,063 photos

One thing that I have always wanted to do but never had the chance during my many visits to Australia was to see the Blue Mountains. Since this was my Birthday trip my wife arranged for us to take a tour of the Blue Mountains. The tour wasn't the cheesy variety that I was fearing. Our motor-coach driver was also our tour guide; John. John specializes in the Blue Mountains and has been coming to them since he was a child.

The tour took us to various town s in the Mountains as well as the Blue Mountains Park. The day was a bit chilly with off and on rain but we still managed to see all the beautiful mountain sights such as the Three Sisters and Katoomba Falls.

It was a fun experience and a wonderful adventure with my wife. I was very happy she planned this trip to the Blue Mountains.

The Legend of the Three Sisters

According to our tour guide John the Aboriginals have a dream time legend of three sisters: Meehni, Wimlah and Gunnedoo. The sisters lived in the Jamison Valley as members of the Katoomba tribe.

These beautiful young ladies had fallen in love with three brothers from the Nepean tribe, yet tribal law forbade them to marry.

The brothers were not happy to accept this law and so decided to use force to capture the three sisters causing a major tribal battle.

As the lives of the three sisters were seriously in danger, a witchdoctor from the Katoomba tribe took it upon himself to turn the three sisters into stone to protect them from any harm. While he had intended to reverse the spell when the battle was over, the witchdoctor himself was killed. As only he could reverse the spell to return the ladies to their former beauty, the sisters remain in their magnificent rock formation as a reminder of this battle for generations to come.

If you love natural beauty and the outdoors; the Blue Mountains is the place to visit. Beautiful mountains, waterfalls, hiking, fishing and camping are just some of the attractions. The Mountain air is refreshing and the people of the area are welcoming. The small towns of the area are very quaint and remind me of the towns I lived near when I was growing up in Upstate New York.

• Last visit to Blue Mountains National Park: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated Jul 23, 2010

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Nice tips. My younger son is in Australia right now and went to the Blue Mountains a day or two ago, so I was curious about it. Looks like a fine place to visit.

cjg1

“There is no such thing as once in a lifetime unless you didn't like it.”

Badges & Stats in Blue Mountains National Park

Have you been to Blue Mountains National Park?