"What do you do with your weekend?" Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney by cjg1

Sydney Travel Guide: 5,796 reviews and 13,501 photos

I’ve been sitting here wondering just how it is I want to describe Sydney. I feel at home here. It seems strange as I’ve only visited seven times now. But ever since arriving alone that first Saturday in June 2004 I have had a level of comfort with this city that I rarely experience elsewhere. Part of this is to do with the wonderful people I’ve met here. Part with the familiarity, coming back so many times; has made Sydney feel like home.

So much about this city appeals to me. I feel like I know it. Or at least good parts of it. The weather is always great. I have been in the fall and also the winter and it’s been great. In spring time it was fantastic. I like that I can recognize the changes over this time period. Stores that have closed. Hotels that have opened.

I love the lifestyle here so laid back and free. Just like they say "No worries". How could you worry in this place. the beautiful beaches, the Harbour, the ferries, the food, the bars, the sights...everything is magnificent. The pub culture is very appealing with a relaxed atmosphere where eventually everyone knows your name..... I love it here."

The people though. This is where the real charm is: Laura, Doug, Helen and Jackie. You have all made my trips here so wonderful.

During 2010 we visited Sydney twice; in February/March and then in November. Our fist visit was two weeks to celebrate my Birthday. We had wonderful adventure seeing new sights and experiencing new restaurants. We also revisited some old favorites and had good time with friends. We met some "Shire" folk, discovered new beaches, traveled to the Blue Mountains, kicked butt at Pub Trivia, Experienced Chinese New Year and Mardi Gras, Survived a Tsunami Warning, survived the Emus, Fed Kangaroos, visited new neighborhoods, tasted fabulous wines and met some great people. It was an incredible trip with my wife and a Birthday I will never forget. Our November trip was to celebrate Thanksgiving and a special Anniversary. We explored some new neighborhoods, discovered new pubs and resturants while enjoying some incredible weather. As always we made time to see some good friends.

We recently visited Sydney in February 2012 again for my birthday and in November 2012. Another set of incredible trips with some new adventures such as the NSW wine festival in Hyde Park and an Australia vs. Indian cricket match.

• Pros:Feels like home.
  • Cons:So far from home.
  • In a nutshell:See you next year!
  • Last visit to Sydney: Nov 2012
  • Intro Updated Dec 20, 2012

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM

We did indeed make it to Australia last Julie -- had an incredible 2 weeks which was way too short of a time to spend there. It was just as expensive as I thought but worth every penny!! Enjoyed reading some of your newest tips and seeing your added photos. Your opening photo is wonderful! Will you be going again for your Birthday this year, LOL!?!

• cjg1's Profile Photo
      Mar 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

My birthday was in February and we went to Hawaii. We were there in November/December end of 2012.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2012 at 7:28 AM

God...yes the Emus. I'm still freaked out by it and alwys will be probably. So continue to eat Emu and I will feel better as the population goes down a bit.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Planning for a trip in July, and your advice & tips are very helpful. Packing light will be a challenge, but not as much a challenge as trying to see & do it all on a budget!! Australia seems to be a very expensive place!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Nice pages on Sydney Chris. I was there in 1988, the year of their Bicentennial. It was the first stop on a country-wide trip that took in not only Sydney, but melbourne as well plus the outback and the coastal regions of Queensland.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2010 at 7:40 AM

excellent tip & photo

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I looked at your Sydney tips and remembered Hyde Park! I think we stayed at hotel across it...I really am getting traveller's Alzheimmer's, hehehe ....nice tips and pics! (But cannot open your Hotels page - is there a computer glitch?)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Love your photo of the Opera House, so nice to see a different angle! Bears, didn't know these countries had them, I took heaps of photos in Vancouver, had fun hunting the streets to find them!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Hi Chris, Great Sydney page, I lived there for my first 27 years. Tip, next visit take the ferry to Manly, turn left from Ferry Terminal and walk the foreshore path towards Sydney, spectacular views, you can continue to Harbour Bridge, it will take a day.

• Mar 23, 2008 at 9:46 AM

You still owe me a ticket

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2008 at 1:42 PM

AAh!, the face and name looked familiar!Instantly connected you with another VT member-Liz! and a very happy birthday this week end!

cjg1 Visits Here Frequently!

cjg1

“There is no such thing as once in a lifetime unless you didn't like it.”

Badges & Stats in Sydney