"A Day on Coco Cay" Coco Cay by cjg1
Coco Cay Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 161 photos
I really enjoyed my first time to Coco Cay. Yes there are things to be desired but I think people forget just what it is supposed to be.
Coco Cay is a private island that was purchased by Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines as their own personal stopping point for trips from southern Florida. Formerly known by the name of Little Stirrup Cay, Coco Cay has been completely re-engineered and formed into a tropical private vacation land, to be visited one day at a time.
I personally believe that the way we did this island on our first visit is the proper way to do it.
We were on one of, if not the first, tenders to head ashore. In fact we heard that there would not be another one for 90 minutes after ours. This allowed us to feel like we had the island to ourselves. Yes there were 20 or 30 people who had early excursions like the sea kayak group and the jet skiers but it was very peaceful.
We first walked around the close tip of the island taking in the sights and searching for our place of paradise. This I must say we found on the opposite side of the island from the landing point in the form of a hammock in a small group of trees. Then the best part of it happened. A very dark cloud moved in from offshore and blocked the bright sun and gave a very cool (almost cold) breeze. We stayed there in the hammock until that cloud finally moved on and the bright sun was once again upon us shortly after spotting a cloud that looks like Bernie, Harrod's bear.
From here we made our way to the far end of the island by walking in the kneehigh water. This is not the best way to walk the distance but the views and water made it worth it. After being the only souls on the end of the island for a short while we followed the wide path back to the main area where we found our same hammock for another rest while Liz went and played in the water.
Finally I because thirsty and we made our way into the shade at Coconut Willie's for a couple of drinks.
After a quick stop at the barbecue we were heading back to the ship by about 12:30.
From the balcony of our room on the ship which was facing the island, we watched the rain showers go through, the parasailing and of course all the people tendering back and forth until about 3:30 when it was time for all to be back on board.
And so you now know, "The perfect way to experience Coco Cay, by Chris and Liz."
We recently returned to Coco Cay in January 2009. Our morning began a bit chilly and windy when we tendered to the island. We had plenty of towels with us and wrapped up in a hammock to stay warm. After about a half hour the sun began to shine brightly and the clouds parted. The cold dissapeared and we were able to "unwrap". I lounged in the hammock while Liz lounged in a chair to catch some rays. After some sun bathing Liz headed to the water for a dip in the the beautiful water.
As always Coco Cay is a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the natural island beauty. The beaches are pristine, the water is warm and clear, there is plenty of water sports, the drinks are great, the people are friendly and there is always a hammock available.....what could be better than that?
This is one of the more ridiculous things I see when people go on vacation. If your a child then it's fine to look silly... more travel advice
When on this ship you must purchase your soda or buy a soda card for unlimited refils. The only free beverages are:... more travel advice
- See All Roosters & Chickens on the Loose!
- See All Kayaking
- See All Drinks Poolside
- See All An Awesome Balcony Suite
- See All Good Food, so so service
cjg1's Related Pages
Coco Cay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Day on Coco Cay"
- "Coco Cay"
- "Coco Cay Was The Best Part"
- "Island of the Cruise Ships"
- "gotta love the islands"
- "Coco Cay Island"
- "Coco Cay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coco Cay
- Hotels in Coco Cay
- Transportation in Coco Cay
- Nightlife in Coco Cay
- Restaurants in Coco Cay
- Shopping in Coco Cay
- Warnings and Dangers in Coco Cay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coco Cay
- 32 Reviews
- 140 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (74)
Have you been to Coco Cay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coco Cay
Photos in Coco CaySee All Photos (140)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 349 reviews, 1409 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 142 reviews, 486 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Lauderdale Intro, 110 reviews, 474 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providenciales Island Intro, 99 reviews, 461 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 185 reviews, 356 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 132 reviews, 375 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mahé Intro, 86 reviews, 397 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 101 reviews, 342 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua and Barbuda Intro, 87 reviews, 355 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Lucia Intro, 70 reviews, 339 photos, 3 travelogues