"Nassau!" Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau by cjg1

Nassau Travel Guide: 657 reviews and 1,345 photos

Our first arrival into Nassau in 2008, was celebrated with a belly flop contest. Such small guys involved only one was over 200 and he easily won.

The town of Nassau is what I consider typical Caribbean in that it has a small town center and is a bit run down. Nothing wrong with that but we did hear comments from people around us about it.

We kept our visit to Nassau short because we spent most of the time over on Paradise Island at Atlantis and also because it was a record heat wave while we were there. Was interesting to speak to the locals and hear their take on it being so hot that they couldn’t remember it being like this before.

Upon arrival we made our way into the terminal building and found the water taxi tickets. Once a group was ready it was time to run through the market and to the boat. No pier here, just a boat pulled up to the ledge with a box on end to stand on to get aboard.

Once we got back to Nassau via land taxi we walked the length of Bay Street. Lots of shops here and yes believe it or not, some actually have prices you can afford. Although not many of them.

At the end of Bay Street if the market. Lots and lots of tourist junk that we all seem to buy once in a while but I must say I did not this time. We nearly ran through it as it was just so hot. A quick visit into Senor Frogs and back to the boat we went.

We did hear from many of the crew that getting outside of Nassau and seeing the rest of the island a lot of it is beautiful. I believe this based on previous experience. So if you get the chance to visit Nassau try to get out and about further afield.

• In a nutshell:Beauty in the Bahamas
  • Last visit to Nassau: Jan 2012
  • Intro Updated Jul 20, 2012

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I have been here some 20+ years ago. Much changed so thanks for the update and comments. Good time to enjoy the pleasures here.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Never been to Nassau! We have to go on a cruise someday (only been on Nile cruise) ---I'm thinking Disney Cruise for the kids...Norman:) That is interesting - the soda card! I do drink a lot of diet coke!

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2008 at 10:21 PM

I have some serious competition here. Will check out your tips later. PJ

cjg1

“There is no such thing as once in a lifetime unless you didn't like it.”

Badges & Stats in Nassau