Paris Things to Do Tips by cjg1
Paris Things to Do: 8,665 reviews and 17,252 photos
During one of trips to Paris my wife had to find the Statue of Gaspard Coligny. Personally I had no idea who they guy was but my wife is a history nut. Admiral Coligny was a Hugenot when it was not popular to be a Protestant in "very" Catholic Paris. He was murdered during the famous Saint Bartholomew's Day massacre of 1572. His body was desecrated and hung up to rot for all to see. I learn something new every trip...
Address: Temple Protestant de l'Oratoire du Louvre
My wife loves Monet and this is her favorite Museum in which to view his work. I have to say the canvases are quite impressive. The works are displayed in start white rooms which only makes the colors of the paint more vivid to the eye. I was also surprised at the sheer scale of the art. I never thought they were that big in reality until I stood next to them myself.
This is definitely a must see for a Monet fan or a fan of Impressionism.
Address: Jardin des Tuileries, 75001 Paris
Directions: End of Tuileries gardens, adjacent to Seine end of Place de la Concorde.
Phone: 01 44 77 80 07
I think you could spend 365 days at the Louvre and not see everything inside to satisfaction; after all it is one of the largest museums in the world. The Louvre began as the Palace to the monarchy and was later converted to a museum in the late 1700's after the fall of the monarchy. The building itself and the surrounding grounds are quite nice...although not everyone likes the Pyramid (my wife personally thinks it ruins the building and I agree).
The museum has vast collections of artwork that range from paintings, sculpture, glasswork, tiles metal work, and more. A variety of time period s and cultures from around the world are represented there with over 300,000 works of art under one roof.
Directions: Métro: Palais Royal-Musée du Louvre
A trip to France is not complete until you have visited Versailles. Versailles is such a beautiful and grand place. The Palace is incredible in both size and in luxury. The history, artwork, the furnishings and the architecture is magnificent. The grounds with their statues and fountains are unbelievale. To think that this was once the home of Kings and Queens......what a life the Royalty lead.
Musée d'Orsay was once a railway station, the Gare d'Orsay. The Museum houses mainly French Art from 1848-1915. The museum features paintings, sculpture, furniture and photography. The sculpture in the museum is beautiful and the detail is incredible. They have many works by Monet, Degas, Renoir, and Cezanne, which we enjoyed. Liz is a big fan of impressionism so she loves any museum that has an extensive collection of her favorite impressionists.
The main hall definitely reminds me of a rail station. The glass roof of the center hall brings a nice amount of light into the building which creates a nice, open feel inside. We had an audio guide of the museum which I think is a great way to see a museum such as this. We were able to walk at our own pace and see what we wanted to see and fast-forward through what we wanted to skip.
Directions: Métro: line 12, Solférino station; RER: line C, Musée d'Orsay station
My wife in front of the Arc de Triomphe
The Arc de Triomphe is another famous monument in Paris. The momument is located at the center of Place Charles de Gaulle at the end of the Champs-Élysées. The Arc was built to honor the people who fought and died in the Revolution and Napoleonic Wars. Beneath the Arc is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from World War I.
The most iconic images of the Arc is when the Nazis paraded past the arc after the surrender of Paris to Hilter and then later as the Allied forces marched down the Champs-Élysées after victory over Hitler. Two incredible moments; one of defeat and one of victory right beneath this grand monument.
Address: Place Charles-de-Gaulle Etoile
Directions: Metro Line 1, 2, RER A : Charles-de-Gaulle Etoile
Address: Place du Panthéon, 75005 Paris
Phone: 33 1 43 54 34 51
More Reviews (36)
- See All A Fast and Easy Way to Get Around
- See All Visit Monet's Giverny
- Afternoon Snacks & Evening Drinks
- See All Good Breakfast Buffet
- See All Admiral's Club JFK
cjg1's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lago di Garlate Hotels
- Grand Haven
- Rengit Hotels
- Gibsons Hotels
- Distrito de Lisboa
- Isla Margarita Hotels
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 73 Reviews
- 272 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Caribbean Cruises Questions"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Best Way to Explore"
- created a Paris Travelogue "Night Time Stroll"
- Wrote a Review Napoleon's Tomb about Napoléon in Paris Things to Do
- Commented on one of jumpingnorman's Paris travel pages
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (272)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 347 reviews, 1392 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 142 reviews, 486 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Lauderdale Intro, 110 reviews, 474 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providenciales Island Intro, 99 reviews, 461 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 184 reviews, 356 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mahé Intro, 86 reviews, 397 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 98 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Lucia Intro, 70 reviews, 339 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buenos Aires Intro, 100 reviews, 298 photos, 6 travelogues
Latest Paris hotel reviews
- Ibis Paris Republique Xeme
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Oceania Paris
- 173 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2013
- Hotel Crimee
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013
- Hotel Amelie
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Ibis Paris Bastille Faubourg Saint Antoine
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Hotel Vaneau Saint Germain Paris
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Splendid Etoile
- 638 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Hotel Le Farmus
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 25, 2009
- Moderne Saint Germain Hotel
- 185 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 7, 2013
- Hotel La Belle Juliette
- 257 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Novotel Paris La Defense
- 259 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Villa Lutece Port Royal
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Hotel Arcadie Montparnasse
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Kyriad Paris Bercy Expo
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Hotel del la Porte Doree
- 680 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Eiffel Tower- 807 Reviews, 1398 Photos
- Montmartre - Sacré Coeur- 574 Reviews, 1008 Photos
- Louvre- 769 Reviews, 1488 Photos
- Notre Dame de Paris- 629 Reviews, 1258 Photos
- Arc de Triomphe- 431 Reviews, 741 Photos
- Musée d'Orsay- 266 Reviews, 527 Photos
- Latin Quarter- 81 Reviews, 231 Photos
- Champs Elysées- 173 Reviews, 280 Photos
- Sainte-Chapelle- 142 Reviews, 338 Photos
- Versailles- 205 Reviews, 389 Photos
See All Paris Things to Do