"Italy is not only romeflorenceandvenice" Genoa by utttz
Genoa Travel Guide: 726 reviews and 1,881 photos
It was about 15 years ago when I first saw on a bestselling american guide these word about genoa: "industrial town, nothing to see....". Ok, Genoa is, or better was, an heavy industry town while nowadays it's mainly an "HiTech" town..... it's true that genoa has the hugest commercial harbour in the mediterranean.... (could be quite fascinating.... try a boat trip).... but genoa is mainly an historic town, with ancient church and buildings and amazing landscapes. The real problem is that genoa is a real mess.... the old town is still "living" as in the past... you've got to enter in the narrow road called "caruggi" to discover the secrets of genoa... it's not dangerous, you can go almost everywere..... just avoid to travel around with a gold rolex, three digital cameras as you would do in any other town....
most of the photos in this page are from other sites about genoa.... Some of them just because I can't afford an helicopter (I would like it but....) others because I've got a lot of slides and my scanner doesn't like slides.... anyway I think it's the same... the important thing is to give an idea of the "emotions" Genoa can give you.
# in 2004 Genoa has been the european capital of culture
# according to the italian slow food association, genoa is the "italian temple of eating"
# the genoa's hostel has been rated as first in italy and tenth in the world.... Never tried, but it should be quite good!
If you like cultural events, I suggest you to check what is goin on in
# palazzo ducale, where you can usually find good exposition... (at least it's a good excuse to visit the building). http://www.palazzoducale.genova.it
# The Opera theatre Carlo Felice, recently rebuilt after a bomb in WWII, has a very good programme... one of the few in italy where is easy to listen at operas and classical music of this century.
# teatro della tosse: they're used to organize pieces in "strange" locations as former industrial building, in the harbour, or in one of the castle over genoa. The scenographer of this theatre is Emanuele Luzzati, one of the best in italy http://www.teatrodellatosse.it
# during the summer we've got a lot of festival.... jazz, ethnic music, dance.... check what is going on in >porto antico
# If it happens you're in genoa during Euroflora, definetely go! it's every five year.... next one will be in 2006...
by the way.... genoa was the European town of culture 2004
if your looking for general infos on genoa:
and before coming to genoa print maghy's page on VT.... it's the only guide you'll need!!!
Hope you will enjoy your visit
- Pros:the widest historical centre in europe
- Cons:challenging to discover
- In a nutshell:much more than the acquarium
The biggest poetry festival in europe is held in genoa each june. This year edition, the 11th edition, is still being... more travel advice
if you want to try to sail on an America Cup boat addressto the Sail academy, they've got 3 AC class boat ready to... more travel advice
- See All Card Museum and Bus
- See All museo d'arte orientale Edoardo Chiossone
- See All a producers consortium
- just take some care in the...
- See All Genoa is very 'hard' to...
utttz's Related Pages
Genoa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My hometown, my favourite town!"
- "Genova again"
- "GENOA - THE CITY OF BEAUTIFUL CHURCHES"
- "Genua -to visit Chiara,Paolo & eventually Columbus"
- "pollon's new Genoa Page"
- "Meeting Chiara&Paolo"
- "Ciao Genoa!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Genoa
- Hotels in Genoa
- Transportation in Genoa
- Nightlife in Genoa
- Restaurants in Genoa
- Shopping in Genoa
- Warnings and Dangers in Genoa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Genoa
- 48 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 46 Forum posts
- 367 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Genoa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Genoa
- Posted in Travel Coffs Harbour Forum "RE: RE: phone who"
- Commented on one of Carletto76's Genoa travel pages
- Wrote a Review festival internazionale di poesia in Genoa Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "festival internazionale di poesia"
- updated a Genoa Travel Page "Italy is not only romeflorenceandvenice"
Top 10 Pages
- Peru Intro, 27 reviews, 128 photos, 9 travelogues
- Genoa Intro, 48 reviews, 89 photos, 3 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 10 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 23 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sweden Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bolivia Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Uyuni Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Finland Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (111)
Latest Genoa hotel reviews
- Genoa Youth Hostel
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 10, 2013
- Jolly Hotel Marina Genoa
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hotel Chopin
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Romantik Hotel Villa Pagoda
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Hotel Colombo
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013
- Bristol Palace Hotel
- 195 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Metropoli
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Clarion Collection Hotel Astoria
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Columbus Village Bed & Breakfast
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 16, 2004
- Hotel Bellevue
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Della Posta Nuova
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2013
- Torre Cambiaso Hotel Genoa
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Hotel Helvetia
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013