"Panajachel: the gateway to Lake Atitlan" Panajachel by saantfv
Panajachel Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 288 photos
Panajachel is a charming city on the shores of Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. The natural environment is breathtaking in its beauty and its people are warm and inviting. It is the portal to an ancient and indigenous world which gives you an idea of what life was like before the arrival of the Spanish ones.
Panajachel is located in the Guatemalan highlands, and offers a spectacular view of not only 3 volcanoes, but also of Lake Atitlan, which the writer Aldous Huxley(Brave new world: such a novel) described as the most beautiful lake in the world.
Panajachel, known as the gateway to Lake Atitlan is also known as the gateway to an indigenous world and across the lake, secluded and far away still survive, small villages of native people living in the same way they lived centuries ago . There are about a dozen of these villages to explore, but three of them attract more visitors than the others: Santiago Atitlán, Santa Catarina Palopó y San Antonio Palopó.
You do not have to venture across Lake Atitlan in Panajachel for a good time: just leave the hotel. You can rent a motorcycle, car or bicycle and explore the landscape on their own. Or you can hire a guide to learn about some of the lesser known sites, attractions and local history. Even some of the local hotels and resorts offer visitors special tours and excursions and opportunities to discover unique treasures and national symbols
Lake Atitlán, with its deep sapphire waters and crystal clear visibility is also a popular diving destination. If you have no equipment, or need diving lessons, do not worry because there is a local dive shop to equip you with everything you need.
Or if you prefer to spend their time on land, Panajachel offers wonderful opportunities for shopping. The city has markets, vendors, boutiques and places, each filled with precious souvenirs and local crafts.
Once you finish exploring, diving or shopping, you're going to have a ravenous hunger. If you are looking for good food, you've come to the right place. Panajachel is practically famous for its small restaurants and cafes full of delicious dishes and a warm and friendly atmosphere. In the city you'll find everything from exotic international dishes up to delicious from local cuisine.
- Pros:Everything, starting from delicious food to the Indian that took us to see the village
- Cons:What cons can have the town on the banks of the most beautiful lake in the world?
- In a nutshell:A rich and indigenous story
saantfv's Related Pages
Panajachel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Panajachel . . . Where it's okay to be a gringo"
- "On the shores of Lake Atitlàn"
- "Tourist Central on Lake Atitlan"
- "Panajachel on Lago de Atitlan"
- "Panajachel, Guatemala"
- "8th Wonder of the World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Panajachel
- Hotels in Panajachel
- Transportation in Panajachel
- Nightlife in Panajachel
- Restaurants in Panajachel
- Shopping in Panajachel
- Warnings and Dangers in Panajachel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Panajachel
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Panajachel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Panajachel
Top 5 Pages
- Neuquén Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Puerto Pirámides Intro, 1 review, 13 photos, 3 travelogues
- Caye Caulker Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Ushuaia Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Parque Nacional Copahué Intro, 1 review, 4 photos