"Are you too old to Backpack?" chevy51's Profile

Too old to backpack? I think NOT!

18 months ago we set out on a backpack trip at the ages of 51 and 68. Too old to backpack? I think NOT! We started on a smaller scale compared to the 20 somethings traveling the world. Maybe we would need to go slower but it wasn't a race. We wanted to take in every sight,sound, smell and feeling this trip would offer. We still work and have a budget but it can be done. We bought well fitted backpacks.This was our main expense. We worked out at a local gym carrying the packs. I weighted mine so I could get used to the feel of the weight. There were plenty of skeptics but we knew we could do this! We are off to see the world! Well, as much as we could see in a month.

Working to go again!

It will have taken nearly 24 months to save up enough money to be off work 2 months, pay the bills while we are traveling and travel but... we are off for a 2month backpack trip to SE Asia by years end.

• Intro Updated May 28, 2011

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Well done, Don and Karen. I been backpackin for 40 years and i have no intention of stopping although i find that a lot of younger people not so interested in talking to me at some of the guesthouses.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
chevy51's Profile Photo

chevy51

“We are all one people. So different yet so the same”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.