Reykjavík Region Favorite Tips by snorril
Reykjavík Region Favorites: 82 reviews and 78 photos
My beautiful daughter in Öskjuhlíð
Favorite thing: Perlan is a upper-class restaurant built on top of water storage tanks at Öskjuhlíð hill near downtown Reykjavík. Controversial while being built but now generally viewed as a beautiful building and major landmark in the city. In the vicinity is a small forest and a popular outdoor area for Reykjavík´s citizens. Also there is a artificial geyser that blows at regular intervals.
Fondest memory: Perlan restaurant offers both fine dinner and you can drop for a coffee and cake during the day. I haven´t dined there for a while, it is more of a tourist attraction than a regular place for locals. Still it is probably very interesting to see when in Reykjavík, great views from the balcony or the rotating restaurant.
Öskjuhlíð however is very popular amongs locals for hiking, jogging and cycling. It connects with Nauthólsvík beach. The hill is also inhabited by rabbits and there are not many other places in Iceland you see wild land mammals on regular basis :)
The Hensmen's School
Favorite thing: Don’t visit Reykjavik in search of historic buildings cos we ain't got none. The closest thing we got to a castle is probably the Helmsmen’s School (see picture) :-).
The oldest house in Reykjavik is the Ministry Offices (I think), built in 1771 as a jail, located at Arnarhóll downtown.
Favorite thing: Tjörnin is located in the city center and close by are most of the atractions. The City Hall´s modern architecture makes a strong impression on the area.
Tjörnin has ample birdlife and most children being brought up in Reykjavík spent a few Sunday mornings feeding the birds on old bread from a loacal bakery.
Fondest memory: On a still night, winter or summer, walking around Tjörnin after a good meal at one of Reykjavík´s restaurants offers a beautiful moment. If you´re lucky you´ll see magnificent sunset or the playful Aurora (depending on season).
Tara and me in Elliðaár valley
Favorite thing: To emphesize the cleaness of Reykjavík people often point out that through the middle of the city runs an active salmon river, Ellliðaár.
Another slamon river, Korpa, is on the outskirts of the city.
Fondest memory: I have never tried to fish in Elliðaár but the river normally yealds over 1000 salmon during the 3 months season.
The valley, Elliðaárdalur, through which the river runs, is a very popular hiking place among locals.
Favorite thing: If you like art or would like to see some local handcraft be sure to visit Skólavörðustígur. It is a street that goes down from Hallgrímskirkja church to Laugavegur main shopping street. It hosts several galleries and handcraft shops. If the weather is ok you could go up to the tower of Hallgrímskirkja (approx 70m) and get a great view of the city and surroundings.
More Reviews (10)
snorril's Related Pages
Reykjavík Region Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Iceland - in winter!"
- "Reykjavik 101"
- "Seamandrew's Reykjavik Region Page"
- "Reykjavik - wonderland :)"
- "Iceland, a small country with big heart"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reykjavík Region
- Hotels in Reykjavík Region
- Transportation in Reykjavík Region
- Nightlife in Reykjavík Region
- Restaurants in Reykjavík Region
- Shopping in Reykjavík Region
- Warnings and Dangers in Reykjavík Region
- See All...
Explore the World
- Port Arthur Hotels
- Pleasant Run Hotels
- Maribaya Hotels
- Province of Zamboanga del Sur Hotels
- Dauphin Island
Badges & Stats in Reykjavík Region
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Reykjavík Region?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reykjavík Region
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Traveling around Iceland with..."
- Wrote a Review Rotating restaurant about Perlan in Reykjavík Region Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rotating restaurant"
- updated a Reykjavík Region Travel Page "Reykjavík - The Capital of Cool"
- Commented on one of tvdm's Reykjavík Region travel pages
Photos in Reykjavík RegionSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla 12 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naxos Island Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Reykjanes Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Þingvellir Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Slovenia Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paros Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Prefecture of Chania Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Top Reykjavík Region hotels
- Reykjavík Hotels
- 892 Reviews - 2991 Photos
- Blue Lagoon- 32 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Glaciers/ Geysers/ Waterfalls- 25 Reviews, 55 Photos
- Hallgrimskirkja- 23 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Buildings- 9 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Museums & Galleries- 11 Reviews, 8 Photos
- City views- 8 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Whale Watching- 7 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Sculpture/ Statues- 5 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Swimming- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Icelandic Ponies- 5 Reviews, 8 Photos
See All Reykjavík Region Things to Do