"Reykjavík - The Capital of Cool" Reykjavík Region by snorril
Reykjavík Region Travel Guide: 1,919 reviews and 5,218 photos
Reykjavík is the northenmost capital in the world and also one of the smallest, with around 160000 inhabitants including suburbs. Still the city has a slight metropolitan feel to it and a great variety of happenings for its size.
Reykjavík is also one of the cleanest capital there is. In Iceland almost all houses are heated with geothermal energy hence no coal or oil burning. However Icelanders are big car-owners, with an average of about 1 car per eligable person, so the city isn't pollution or traffic free. Reykjavík is still relatively clean and I doubt that there are many capitals that boast a salmon river running through its midst.
The best part of Reykjavík is its closeness to nature. I love the outdoors and doing walking and hiking trips with my girlfriend and our dog. Reykjavík offers plenty of walks in its vincinity, e.g. Heiðmörk, Mt. Esja, Elliðaárdalur, Ægissíða etc.
It is also lovely walking in the Old town. Icelandic houses differ from houses in most other countries. They are very colorful, particularly the roofs which are all painted in different colours. The downtown area and around Tjörnin (The Pond) is also beautiful in the evenings, with striking sunsets in the summer and dancing Aurora during winters.
However, though Reykjavík is nice it probably isn't the reason you're visiting Iceland. Go out and about and explore the nature of the country. A couple of days in Reykjavík are enough if you haven't got much of a time.
If you are interested I have created more pages about Iceland:
Perlan is a upper-class restaurant built on top of water storage tanks at Öskjuhlíð hill near downtown Reykjavík.... more travel advice
If you happen to be in Reykjavík on one of these few sunny days :) be sure to check out the sunset from the city's... more travel advice
snorril's Related Pages
Reykjavík Region Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Iceland - in winter!"
- "Reykjavik 101"
- "Seamandrew's Reykjavik Region Page"
- "Reykjavik - wonderland :)"
- "Iceland, a small country with big heart"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reykjavík Region
- Hotels in Reykjavík Region
- Transportation in Reykjavík Region
- Nightlife in Reykjavík Region
- Restaurants in Reykjavík Region
- Shopping in Reykjavík Region
- Warnings and Dangers in Reykjavík Region
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reykjavík Region
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Reykjavík Region?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reykjavík Region
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Traveling around Iceland with..."
- Wrote a Review Rotating restaurant about Perlan in Reykjavík Region Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rotating restaurant"
- updated a Reykjavík Region Travel Page "Reykjavík - The Capital of Cool"
- Commented on one of tvdm's Reykjavík Region travel pages
Photos in Reykjavík RegionSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla 12 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naxos Island Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Reykjanes Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Þingvellir Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Slovenia Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paros Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Prefecture of Chania Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos