"Hawaii Volcanoes National Park" Hawaii Volcanoes National Park by derats
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Travel Guide: 190 reviews and 516 photos
The park itself encompasses the summit and northeast slope of Mauna Loa volcano and the vast Kilauea Caldera, which has been active since 1983. If you are lucky enough to time your visit to an eruption or lava flow, you'll witness the experience of a lifetime. But even without a fiery show, a tour of the park is a fascinating experience for folks of all ages.
Be sure to have a some warm clothing, as temperatures at 4000 feet can be quite nippy.
Kilauea Volcano, more specifically its Halemaumau Crater, is the legendary home of the fire goddess Pele, whose spirit many believe still rules here. Stories of 'Pele's curse' -- bad luck to anyone who takes away her rocks -- are so widespread that someone recently published a book of letters from repentant rock thieves asking park rangers to 'please return this rock to
Madame Pele.' Rock hounds beware!
The Park is open 24 hours a day all year; Kilauea Visitor Center is open from daily 7:45 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Here you will receive the latest information on park roads, trails, activities and safety precautions. Remember, the park is located on two active volcanoes. Conditions can change quickly.
At Kilauea, where the very ground is sacred to the Hawaiian people, remember to E nihi ka hele, walk softly!
The picture shown are the items that the National Park advises taking when visiting the lava-flow field. They are... more travel advice
When possible, rangers mark a trail out to the margins of active lava flows or to the coast to view lava as it enters... more travel advice
derats' Related Pages
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HAWAIIAN VOLCANOES NATIONAL PARK, FIRE IN THE HOLE"
- "Hawaii Volcanos National Park"
- "Home to the active Kilaue Volcano"
- "Not just Volcanoes!"
- "Hawaii Volcanoes National Park"
- "Fresh lava on Kilauea (2003 - 2004)"
- "Sharrie's Volcanoes Awakening"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Hotels in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Transportation in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Nightlife in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Restaurants in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Shopping in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Photos in Hawaii Volcanoes National ParkSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Honolulu Intro, 13 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kailua-Kona Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Portland Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Lihue Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Sacramento Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roseburg Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Townsville Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos