"derats's San Francisco Page" San Francisco by derats
San Francisco Travel Guide: 9,131 reviews and 19,420 photos
San Francisco, perched at the edge of the continent, is truly one of the world's great cities. It's the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, a port city with saltwater in her veins, gold fever in her past, and the danger of earthquakes whispering in her ears. The city is small, with 750,000 residents nestled within a seven-by-seven-mile tip of land between San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean.
Like any great city, San Francisco is recognizable by her famous landmarks. Who doesn't instantly identify San Francisco when they see the Golden Gate Bridge, the TransAmerica Pyramid, Lombard Street or Cable Cars!
Yes, San Francisco is extraordinary, but it wasn't always so. Back in 1847 "Yerba Buena" was a sleepy village on a beautiful bay in the middle of nowhere. Population 800. But that changed forever in January 1848, when gold was discovered at Sutter's Mill. Within two years, 25,000 newcomers settled in San Francisco and another 50,000 passed through on their way to the gold fields. Incredibly, those population numbers redoubled by 1853. Rudyard Kipling said, "It's a mad city, inhabited for the most part by perfectly insane people." Kipling also found "but one drawback -- 'tis hard to leave!" You'll find it hard to leave, too. While Tony Bennett's "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" might be a cliché, the famous crooner hit the mark.
The City By The Bay offers an incredible variety of things to do and sights you shouldn't miss.
The San Francisco Bay Area is a remarkable region. It has lived through earthquakes and fires and come back stronger ever time. It's easy to explain the Phoenix ascending on San Francisco's city seal. It symbolizes a growing, changing city that always rises above its challenges.
Finally, two pieces of advice -- never call it "Frisco," and remember what Mark Twain said: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." Dress in layers!
Perhaps the most famous ex-jail in the world, "The Rock" draws thousands of visitors every year to its echoing... more travel advice
The financial district has under gone such a fabulous change over the past few years, with the "F" Line, the Ferry... more travel advice
derats' Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
- Wrote a Review Escape from the mainland to this legendary prison about Alcatraz in San Francisco Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Escape from the mainland to this legendary prison"
- Posted in Travel Waikiki Forum "Re: HNL to the hotel (and back)"
- created a San Francisco Travel Page "derats's San Francisco Page"
Top 10 Pages
- Honolulu Intro, 13 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kailua-Kona Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Portland Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Lihue Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Sacramento Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roseburg Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Townsville Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos