"Palencia, the unknown beauty" Palencia by Sonia69
Palencia Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 226 photos
The cathedral is called 'The unknown beauty' because it is not as famous as other Spanish cathedrals but it is really as beauty as the others. The cathedral was built by the king Sancho III el Mayor, and the legend says that when he was trying to hunt a wild boar, his arm was paralyzed and couldn't move it. Due to this he promised God to build a cathedral there if he could recovered his arm, this happened and consequently the king order the construction of the cathedral dedicated to Sain Antolin, who in fact, has a statue in the cript.
The cathedral has very beautiful stained-glass windows and different places, but the most famous piece is the altarpiece located in the center of the cathedral.
The bishop Tello Téllez de Meneses, with the help of the king Alfonso VIII, built the first university in Spain in the 13th century. Though it does not exist any longer, the people of Palencia erected this monument to the first Spanish university. Now the University of Palencia is mixed with the Vallodolid university.
Palencia is also famous because the first Spanish townhall was created here. In front of it there is a statute of Berruguete, a Palentinian sculptor, made by Victorio Macho. As I went to Palencia 2 weeks before Christmas, the Plaza Mayor, where the townhall is located, the lights iluminated the whole Plaza while they played typical Spanish Christmas songs.
- Pros:Palencia is more beautiful than people think, the people are very friendly and the streets are nice to walk in
- In a nutshell:Palencia, the unkown beauty
The Monclús hotel is very well located, in the very center of Palencia, this is why it is very close to all the main... more travel advice
Sonia69's Related Pages
Palencia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Palencia and its province."
- "Palencia, the unknown beauty"
- "Palencia, a hiden Castilian gemstone"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palencia
- Hotels in Palencia
- Transportation in Palencia
- Nightlife in Palencia
- Restaurants in Palencia
- Warnings and Dangers in Palencia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palencia
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Palencia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palencia
Top 10 Pages
- Salamanca Intro, 14 reviews, 125 photos, 10 travelogues
- Palencia Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Castilla y León 1 review, 5 photos
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mexico Intro, 3 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 3 photos
- Philadelphia Intro, 3 photos
No friends yet.