"my hometown, Intelligent Community of the Year2011" Top 5 Page for this destination Eindhoven by catnl

Eindhoven Travel Guide: 332 reviews and 976 photos

Interesting info

Eindhoven, Intelligent community of the Year 2011
Weather
Iam born in Eindhoven, grow up in Woensel West, Strijp and now i live at Gestel. So are my daughter and son, they both have bought a house near by my home. I live by myself now and my cockatiel Happy
some video of Eindhoven

Iam half Dutch, half Ukrainian , because my father was born at Eindhoven (Strijp) and my mam at Morshin (Striy) Ukraine.
IAt my travelogues i added all kinda pictures and info about family, meetings, and other about Eindhoven as well.
Eindhoven got its stadsrecht from Hertog Hendrik I van Brabant in 1232, with about 170 houses and a castle just outside the area.
The city also had 2 small rivers flowing, De Dommel and De Gender. Eindhoven also became the right to have a weekly market.
Eindhoven had its first horsetram in 1888.
Eindhoven history
In 1891 Philips starts a lightning factory on the Emmasingel and since then Philips had a big influence on the industry all over the world.
1920 de districts, Gestel, Stratum, Strijp, Tongelre and Woensel became part of Eindhoven and the city grew and grew.
1928 Daf (cars)came in the picture as well.
We have now over 200.000 people and we are the fifht city in the Netherlands.
There are about 1500 buildings on the Monumentslist.
Monuments
At this url u can click the streetnames and see pictures of those monuments.A great online site about district Strijp (dutch language) with old stories and pictures :
Strijps Weekblad

f.i. next article:
1927
For the first time in history on May 31st and June 1, Queen Wilhelmina did a radiospeech for the people East- and West- Indies by telephone.
This was the first long distance call by wireless telephone on such long distance in the world!
This event took place at the Lab of Philips, Kastanjelaan

Lichtjesroute Eindhoven 2004
June 2004,
Ive got a surprise from my daughter and son :-) its a great bike! Ideal for biking downtown and do shopping.
May 29th.2004
Next upcoming transport to Ukraine in June 2004.and a coworker and i will go in september to organize the distribution.

April.30, 2004 Today i went with Andriy-uz from Uzhgorod downtown to show him everything thats happening on Queensday at the center. We had the most fantastic weather and tonight going back offcourse:-) pictures at the travelogue

My life at beautifull Eindhoven

Snackbar Smullers at the NS-station in Eindhoven sells the most tastefull and healtiest "Frites"in the Netherlands.
(verkoopt de lekkerste en gezondste frites van Nederland)
art.Eindhovens Dagblad May 14th.2003
VT meeting September 28th.2002.
10 (11 incl.me) VT members came to Eindhoven on Saturday afternoon.
We met at the station and when the group was almost complete we had a drink at Trocadero, a restaurant/cafe across Central Station.
Having a great time in Eindhoven is'nt difficult.
There are over a hundred different kind of restaurants, many, many national and international pubs, theaters, cinemas, a casino, a musiccenter, lots of cultural and music events all year long in- and outdoor, dance and sportclubs.
Some fantastic green areas, statues find out yourself when visiting.
Meeting August 2002 at Eindhoven.
Harry van der Heyden is one of the artists who had an open door to their home/atelier for public, which is this & next weekend.
more info:
Atelierroute

More pictures on the travelogues

• Pros:Its a great city ....if u know where to go
  • Cons:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDopOX0dveE
  • In a nutshell:I love it here
  • Intro Updated Oct 23, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Hello, Carin! I see there are many interesting local customs! Thanks for the great number of splendid photos,Carin! You really love your home city!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Cemeteries can be quite interesting, I agree.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Many interesting tips to read in a short time; I'll come back tomorrow

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Glad to read more about Eindhoven :)

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Carin, I was reminded today of you with another VTers health and trust that you are 'feeling good and returning to normal as best you can. Larry

• Feb 18, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I have an affinity with Eindhoven having lived there for 3 years in the 1950's with the RAF. I love the place and visit each year for the Liberation & Peace Celebrations every September 18th. I'll be back again this year 2009.

• Nov 3, 2008 at 6:42 AM

excellent service in here they go out of there way to help the coffee special with ice cream on top was delicious cant wait to go back and see the manager who is a friendly man the food is amazing .

• JessH's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Hello Carin. I very much enjoyed reading your home town page. good information here and interesting stories. Greetings from the desert / Jess :-)

• dromosapien's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Great Eindhoven page catnl, wish I had checked it out before my brief visit. Good travels.

• Jan 17, 2008 at 3:23 AM

Coffeshop without alcohol? I was in Eindhoven 2 weeks ago, and the Grasshopper had plenty booze and beer - and sports fans types. My friend was easily able to buy more than 5 grams, he actually bought ten, including the four or so grams he smoked there.

catnl Lives Here!

catnl

“live and let live”

Badges & Stats in Eindhoven

Have you been to Eindhoven?

Videos in Eindhoven