"Wandering the World" arielky's Profile

10 Years Travel

I left the U.S. in March of 2005, driving across the North American Continent, following a long spring all the way to L'Anse St. Jean on the Saguenay River in northern Quebec.

The first country I lived in after leaving the U.S. was Andorra, a tiny country in the Pyrenees Mountains between France and Spain (closest cities - Toulouse, France and Barcelona, Spain).

From a tiny country to a gigantic one, I went on to teach in China, although I returned to the U.S. to teach in the summer program at UC Santa Cruz first. Then I taught at Ocean University of China in Qingdao. I completed my contract and taught at a couple of language schools for a few months, but couldn't find a place that was a good match.

So I went to Mongolia and taught at MIU (Mongolia International University). I enjoyed my classes and students very much, but there were so many problems with teaching in a developing country, that I only stayed a semester and am back in China again, ready to start a new position.

Teaching in Qingdao

It's been quite a mix of good and bad. I'm still assimilating all my feelings about having been teaching in China and my experiences here. Maybe I'll return still, but right now I'm ready to leave.

It's not that easy. I started to put down some roots here and there are many things and people who I will miss very much. But I'm also in a continual state of irritation. I really need to get away from so many people and get back to nature.

Aaah, Mongolia, here I come!

Santa Cruz Summer

I taught a couple classes to Humphrey students at UC Santa Cruz. What a pleasure to meet these great people. I kind of followed them around their planned activities over the summer and got to know them. I would have done more to stay in touch with them if the university staff had not discouraged it.

My son attended a class I was teaching and my students loved working with him. Maybe that's why he came to China and has been having a great time teaching English.

Here's the sea view from the patio of a wealthy man who invited the Humphrey students to a party at his place.

Humphrey Fellows

Here's a group photo of the Humphrey Fellows who I enjoyed teaching so much. It was taken at a Santa Cruz City Council Meeting that the students were invited to attend to see how local government works.

These were mid-life professionals who were studying in the U.S. on scholarships from many countries such as the Cote d'Ivoire, China, Indonesia, Bangladesh, and Slovakia.

Fair Avenue House Near Beach in Santa Cruz

Here's the view out the front window at the lovely house I subleased for the summer in Santa Cruz. The bench was under a large lemon tree.

Santa Cruz Living

Here's a photo of the sun taken from inside the living room of the house on Fair Avenue.

Teaching at Inlingua in Andorra la Vella

Here's some of the terrific students I taught at the language school in Andorra la Vella.

Alice and I

Alice and I became friends when I first arrived in Qingdao. We've been doing a language exchange ever since, but don't blame her that I didn't learn much Chinese. I was not very diligent.

• Intro Updated Dec 30, 2009

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Ariel, welcome to VT. Thank you for visiting my Mongolia page and your lovely comment.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
arielky's Profile Photo

arielky

“Honor the Spirit in Everything”

Ranked Member