"Presbyterian Dead zone" Top 5 Page for this destination Stornoway by Orchid
Stornoway Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 73 photos
Stornoway is the major town on Lewis, the northern, flatter part of the islands of the Outer Hebrides. It is an attractive enough town, but rather lacking in stuff to do (perhaps because I came at the weekend!).
Still, a walk around the harbourfront is not a bad thing, even though (you guessed it) not a lot happening. Fishing for a living in these waters is a tough life. These chaps do need a day of rest!
Stornoway pretty much closed down for Sunday in the early 80's, the only action going on is the Church of Scotland. Actually, since they're isn't anything else on, catching a Sunday service is not such a bad thing. If you are lucky, you can get a real fire and bringstone sermon, with the red faced pastor flaying his congregtion with the prospect of the hellish fate awaiting such miserable sinners! Then watch as everyone walks a block from the church, and then hops in their cars to drive home (because no one can be seen to be so lazy as to drive to the kirk!).
Still, the lengths the authorities went to to prevent any sort of gaiety, enjoyment or diversions for anyone could be pretty extreme. They even tie up the swings in the playground to prevent their use!
So take yourself for a walk in the countryside. You surely will not get lost, and it has a bleak, harsh charm.
Then if that is all too much, saunter back to your comfy B&B and enjoy a vacuum cleaner demo in the sitting room! (this happpened, I kid you not!)
I have had the pleasure of reading Kevin MacNeil's rather dark tale of the life of R Stornoway, a resident of the... more travel advice
Orchid's Related Pages
Stornoway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stornoway at last!"
- "Under construction"
- "Presbyterian Dead zone"
- "ITS A LITTLE FAR AWAY...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stornoway
- Hotels in Stornoway
- Transportation in Stornoway
- Nightlife in Stornoway
- Restaurants in Stornoway
- Shopping in Stornoway
- Warnings and Dangers in Stornoway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stornoway
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Stornoway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stornoway
Photos in StornowaySee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 18 reviews, 70 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos
- Toronto Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos
- Esfahan Intro, 10 reviews, 33 photos
- Uyuni Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Arequipa Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Suceava Intro, 2 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Agra Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos