"Sacred City of Imerina Kings" Ambohimanga by Orchid
Ambohimanga Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 124 photos
The Rova of Ambohimanga is located some 25km from the capital Antananarivo, where it sister Rova is located, again high on a hill as befitted the status of the nobles who constructed these sanctuaries.
Atop the hill, the major palace buildings are inside a compound whose circular wall was pierced by a gate. Under a fallen sacred fig tree, festooned with zebu skulls, is a bloodstained sacrifice stone.
Inside the walled compound were a sacred pen for zebu, and the small wooden palace (with rather rickety 2nd floor balustrades - visitors are warned not to lean on them), complete with audience, meeting and dining rooms.
Behind the buildings, the tombs of kings. Ans around it all, a garden of medininal plants, with views across the rice-paddied landscape.
The palace itself is (or was) protected by numerous fortified gateways, often able to be closed off by huge disc shaped rocks, which were rolled into and out of place by teams of soldiers
Orchid's Related Pages
Ambohimanga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The King, his Hut and the Rock...on a Blue Hill"
- "Sacred City of Imerina Kings"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ambohimanga
- Transportation in Ambohimanga
- Warnings and Dangers in Ambohimanga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ambohimanga
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Ambohimanga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ambohimanga
Top 10 Pages
- P'yongyang Intro, 18 reviews, 70 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos
- Toronto Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos
- Esfahan Intro, 10 reviews, 33 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos
- Uyuni Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Arequipa Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos