"First National Park" Andasibe by Orchid
Andasibe Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 102 photos
The small village of Andasibe is 4 hours drive for the capital Antananarivo, the road dropping off the plateau toward the forested slopes leading to the Indian Ocean.
Near Andasibe is Madagascar's first National Park, known as Perinet or as Andasibe is the home of the Indri Indri, whose haunting cries are audible for kilometres.
The park entrance is only a couple of kilometres from the Junction with the RN2, along a sealed road. At the park entrance, your guides will be arranged and you will set off into the park on one of the designated circuits. The best time to see Indri is in the morning. The guides work together to seek out the animals so it will not be long before you hear and see one.
They are often very high in the trees, so be prepared to crane your neck.
The walking is fairly easy, though sometimes the guides will lead you into the scrub to get to a better vantage point.
Other sightings apart from Indri will be the Golden Lemur, and the brown lemur. With luck you will also spot some chameleons. The slow moving reptiles are good subjects for close up photography.
We spent 2 nights at Vakona Lodge, before making the long journey back to Antananarivo, and thence via Fort Dauphin to the Berenty Private Reserve
There is a Crocodile park a short walk from Lemur's Island, where one can see deep spooky looking lake, which is home to... more travel advice
The Feony'ala Hotel has a rather nice restaurant overlooking the river which borders the Mantadia National Park.... more travel advice
Orchid's Related Pages
Andasibe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Andasibe? Perinet? Brilliant whatever you call it!"
- "First National Park"
- "Outskirts of Andasibe"
- "Lemurs galore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Andasibe
- Hotels in Andasibe
- Transportation in Andasibe
- Restaurants in Andasibe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Andasibe
- 6 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Andasibe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Andasibe
- Posted in Travel Melbourne Forum "Re: Distance between beach &..."
- Wrote a Review Close encounter with the Eupleridae in Andasibe Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Close encounter with the Eupleridae"
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Andasibe tips
- updated a Andasibe Travel Page "First National Park"
Photos in AndasibeSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- P'yongyang Intro, 18 reviews, 70 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos
- Toronto Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos
- Esfahan Intro, 10 reviews, 33 photos
- Uyuni Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Arequipa Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Suceava Intro, 2 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Andasibe Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos