"Heading for the Wild East" Kerman by Orchid
Kerman Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 91 photos
Kerman is 8 hours by bus from Shiraz, across mountains and plains.
Another bead on the Silk Road trade routes, it also has its famous bazaar - the Ganj e Ali Khan along whose labyrinthine passages can be found the pumping arteries of commerce, in addition to an old hamam (now a museum), caravanserai, and Ali Khan's jewel like private mosque.
On the bazaar we were met and greeted by all manner of curious folk, though I am sure that there is a reasonable trickle of tourists passing through.
There was the boy selling raisins in the coppersmith bazaar, the fellow who directed us to a money changer, who claimed to have met Tony Wheeler at the Pakistan border and the man we encountered in the Hammam, insisting that he was a philosopher, and who tagged along until we lost him at the small private mosque with its exquisitely details decorative dome. These folk certainly added spice to our explorations.
Outside the bazaar, the shops are a bit more well, ordinary. On Dr Behesti Street we saw the green pants shop, a succession of sweets shops, the red pants shop, the fat guy's shop, and many banks.
At the end of the bazaar, a short detour takes one to the Jameh mosque, with a distinctive truncated clock tower, and a grand approach through a square with a reflecting pool.
Yet another re-purposed historic bathhouse. One descends steps from Bazar e Ektiari to enter the space, resplendent with... more travel advice
What Iran is lacking in functioning historic bathhouses, it sure makes up with in museums! Kerman's contribution the... more travel advice
Orchid's Related Pages
Kerman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heading for the Wild East"
- "Jameh Mosque"
- "The Icehouses In Kerman..."
- "one of the most historic town"
- "Desert Storm"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kerman
- Hotels in Kerman
- Transportation in Kerman
- Restaurants in Kerman
- Shopping in Kerman
- Warnings and Dangers in Kerman
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kerman
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Kerman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kerman
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 18 reviews, 70 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos
- Toronto Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos
- Esfahan Intro, 10 reviews, 33 photos
- Uyuni Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Arequipa Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Suceava Intro, 2 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Agra Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos