"Goseck - visit Germany's "Woodhenge"!" Goseck by ettiewyn
Goseck Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 9 photos
"Woodhenge" of course is a name built in analogy to Stonehenge, and the two constructions have indeed some characteristics in common. But in fact, the sun observatory is much older (it is 7000 years old) - only it is reconstructed, but on the original site!
You can read more about it in the Things To Do tips!
Goseck itself is a small town of a thousand inhabitants and we only drove through. It seems though that due to the observatory, they get their fair share of tourism!
The Goseck sun observatory is part of the "Sky Paths", a project of the Saxony-Anhalt tourist industry. Taking part is also Nebra, where the famous Nebra Sky Disc was found, Halle, where the Sky Disk is now located and can be seen in a museum, and Langeneichstädt, where you can see a dolmen and small menhir.
- Pros:See the reconstruction of a monument older than the pyramids!
- Cons:Not much more to see.
- In a nutshell:I have learned much here!
As said in the intro, the Goseck Sun Observatory is the oldest archaeological evidence for systematic skywatching. The... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Goseck Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Goseck
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Goseck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goseck
Photos in GoseckSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bournemouth Intro, 24 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halle Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heidelberg Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue