"Halle - city of the five towers" Top 5 Page for this destination Halle by ettiewyn
Halle Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 438 photos
In summer 2011, my dad invited me to join him on a trip to Halle area. The reason for this was that he wished to travel on the Sky Paths, a touristic route along places connected to prehistoric sights in this part of Sachsen-Anhalt. The other places are Nebra, Goseck and Langeneichstädt.
The trip was very interesting and I learned a lot!
The picture shows why Halle is called the "City of five towers". It depicts the Red Tower located at the marketplace, and behind it the Marienkirche with its four towers (one hidden behind another one). I think this is just a beautiful expression.
Update April 2012: Grammar corrected
Halle is the biggest city in the Bundesland of Sachen-Anhalt and during GDR times, it was an important industrial town. First documentary evidence is from 806. This settlement was founded because there were salt springs. Together with a ford across the river Saale, this was a perfect location and the town prospered. During baroque times, it became a cultural centre, connected to people like Bach and Händel, and a university was founded in 1694.
I particularly noticed many historic sandstone buildings, like the house you see in the picture. This one is called the Schöffenhaus and is now home to a bank. Buildings like this are scattered all over the city and give it a very particular look. I did not expect this!
However, the city decayed much during GDR times, and this is still very visible. I was probably very naive, but I had not expected that you could still see such a difference, after twenty years of reunification. The marketplace of Halle was renovated and reconstructed very nicely, but only one street further it looks like a totally different city, with disrepaired houses, broken windows and roofs, and just a general atmosphere of decay. I did not take any photographs of it, though, because there were always locals present and it just did not feel right to me to do it. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but in such things I'll rather be on the safe sight and respect the people. These are their homes after all!
I still think that Halle is a very nice place to visit. It is not always beautiful, but it has some very interesting sights and it feels very authentic because it is not posh and not brushed up and styled like many tourist towns. We did not see many other tourists, and were welcomed very friendly by the locals we met. It is a happy memory to me!
- Pros:A world-class highlight in the museum, interesting sights, lovely locals
- Cons:If you want to see a perfect beautiful city, you should pick another one
- In a nutshell:A city that reveals its worth at the second glance
This museum was the reason why my dad planned this trip in the first place - or rather something located in this museum... more travel advice
I was very astonished when I saw the Marienkirche because I had never seen a church with four towers (at least not... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Halle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Händel, Donizetti and the Beatles"
- "Halle - city of the five towers"
- "Halle an der Saale"
- "Changing every day"
- "Halle an der Saale"
- "The World I Live In"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Halle
- Hotels in Halle
- Transportation in Halle
- Nightlife in Halle
- Restaurants in Halle
- Shopping in Halle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Halle
- 23 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Halle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Halle
Photos in HalleSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bournemouth Intro, 24 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halle Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heidelberg Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue