"Kelbra" Kelbra by ettiewyn
Kelbra Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
Kelbra is a small town very near to the famous Kyffhäuser. As a child, I travelled to the Harz with my dad every summer and on one of these trips, we also visited the Kyffhäuser and had a short stop in Kelbra.
In summer 2011, we did our first trip together again after more than ten years. We went to Halle in Sachsen-Anhalt and had an unexpected short stop in Kelbra for lunch. We also saw the Kyffhäuser from the Autobahn and were even able to take a (even if very bad) photo of it.
This short stop was reviving good old memories of childhood travels!
The town of Kelbra has about 3,600 inhabitants. From here, you can explore the famous Kyffhäuser Memorial. It was constructed in the end of the 19th century and is an eerie example of the glorifying memorial culture of the time (another one is the Hermanndsdenkmal in Detmold).
The Kyffhäuser Memorial is the third-biggest memorial in Germany and was built to honour Emperor Wilhelm I. It was to show the grandness and strength of the Second Reich. It features a tower, a statue of Wilhelm I on horseback, and to its feet, a stone statue of Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa. According to legend, Barbarossa, who lived during the 12th century, is sleeping within a mountain and will wake up if need is greatest. He will become emperor again and bring new glory to Germany.
Well, after the Third Reich of course nobody is talking about such things, but in the 19th century, this was a very popular legend. The people imagined old Barbarossa sleeping in a cave in Kyffhäuser mountain, his beard growing around a table, ravens flying around the mountain who will tell him when the time has come.
I will not write any real tips of this because I neither have pictures nor accurate memories (I visited the memorial when I was about ten years old), but you can see pictures of the memorial on the offical page:
Statue of Wilhelm I
Stone statue of Barbarossa
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Kelbra Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kelbra
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Kelbra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kelbra
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bournemouth Intro, 24 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halle Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heidelberg Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue