"Konstanz" Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz by ettiewyn
Konstanz Travel Guide: 234 reviews and 809 photos
In summer 2007, I spent three days in Konstanz to visit a friend who studied there. It was my first trip after the travel bug had caught me in Australia :-)
I was very pleased about the opportunity because I thought that Lake Constance was very interesting.
We used Konstanz more as a base and did three daytrips to other destinations: We went to Meersburg, Mainau and Schaffhausen. Unfortunately this did not leave too much time to explore Konstanz and I did not see so much of it. I really must visit it again to explore it in a better way - there are so many things I did not see on my first visit!
Lake Constance is the biggest lake of the German-speaking countries. Germany, Austria and Switzerland are surrounding it. The climate is very mild and warm and the area is just very nice and beautiful. It was my first visit to the south of Germany and I enjoyed the scenery very much.
Konstanz is the biggest town on the lake and also location of a university.
The town started as a celtic settlement that was called "Constantia" by the Romans. In 590, a bishopric was founded (the first one in Germany). The town developed well due to its good location.
From 1414 to 1418, the famous Council of Konstanz was taking place. The reason was that at the time there were two, and then even three popes - some cardinals who were not happy about one pope simply elected another one, but of course the first pope would not give in. The situation got so difficult that there was even the risk of war, so Emperor Sigismund decided to hold a council in Konstanz, a town that was not part of one of the parties of the fight.
In the end, all three popes were deposed and the cardinals elected a new pope.
The council made Konstanz famous all over Europe, although it did not succeed in all ways: The cardinals and the emperor had also promised to be open to reforms of the church, but they did not fulfil their pledges. Instead, they burned the "heretics" present in the town and made the situation for reformers in Europe even worse.
Konstanz's career, though, started with the council - since then, everybody has known its name! Nowadays, other destinations like Lindau, Meersburg or Friedrichshafen have higher numbers of visitors, but Konstanz is still something special due to its medieval Old Town and its history.
- Pros:Medieval town in beautiful scenery
- In a nutshell:It is an interesting place that I want to visit again!
One evening we spent at the shore of the lake, sitting near the harbour just enjoying the warm summer evening. When it... more travel advice
Konstanz's town centre is very historical and a perfect place to stroll around. There are numerous sights to see (I... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Konstanz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Konstanz - Old Town Surprise"
- "Konstanz - beautiful setting and charming old town"
- "KONSTANZ (Constance)"
- "South Germany"
- "Welcome to my hometown Konstanz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Konstanz
- Hotels in Konstanz
- Transportation in Konstanz
- Nightlife in Konstanz
- Restaurants in Konstanz
- Shopping in Konstanz
- Warnings and Dangers in Konstanz
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Konstanz
- 13 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Konstanz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Konstanz
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 76 reviews, 254 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bad Hersfeld Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 25 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (46)
Latest Konstanz hotel reviews
- Kloster Hegne
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Jun 23, 2008
- Graf Zeppelin
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 19, 2013
- Gastehaus Centro
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Hotel Bilger Eck
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 15, 2013
- Golden Tulip Halm Konstanz
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Ringhotel Schiff Am See
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Steigenberger Inselhotel
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 8, 2013
- Stadthotel Konstanz
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Hotel Petershof
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 19, 2013