"Lugano - a day trip to Ticino" Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano by ettiewyn
Lugano Travel Guide: 394 reviews and 1,046 photos
It was due to my mom that we went to Lugano - I must admit that I had never heard of this city, nor had I any plans to do a day trip to Switzerland during our trip to Milan. However, while I talked to her about the day trip to Lago Maggiore that I was proposing, she suddenly mentioned Lugano and that she had once read a novel taking place there, and had dreamed about going there ever since. I quickly checked the options of going to Lugano from Milan, and when I saw that it was so easy, I at once decided that we would go there and that I would make my mom's dream come true. When I told her, she was really surprised, and we looked forward to the trip very much.
Lugano is located in the canton of Ticino and on the shores of Lago di Lugano, which was named after the city. I was surprised to read that Lugano is the third-biggest financial centre of Switzerland, the eighth-biggest city by area and ninth-biggest city by inhabitants. While we visited, it rather seemed like a small and tranquil town to me, but obviously that impression was a little deceiving! And of course I mean "tranquil" apart from the tourists. We visited on a warm and sunny sunday, and while there were not many people during the first half of the day, it became very crowded in the afternoon. There were literally hordes of tourists and locals wandering about, but although I usually don't like to be among so many people, it did not really disturb me in Lugano - maybe because the big lake and the massive mountains around still give a sense of space and freedom.
The lake and the mountains make Lugano a special and beautiful place. There are three particular mountains surrounding it: Monte Brè, Monte San Salvatore and Sighignola. There are cable cars going to the top and these must provide spectacular views, but being only on a day trip, and because my mom is afraid of cable cars, we skipped this. As it was such a sunny day and we wanted to enjoy the beautiful scenery, we neither visited any of the museums the city has to offer. Instead we wandered around the centre and the lakefront, visited a handful of churches, and then just enjoyed the beautiful Parco Civico and the amazing landscape of this region.
- Pros:Fantastic and stunning scenery, great churches
- Cons:Very expensive and crowded in high season
- In a nutshell:I a happy that I have now seen some of the beautiful Ticino myself!
Piazza Cioccaro is only a very small piazza, and it is clearly in the shadow of Piazza Riforma, but I preferred this... more travel advice
Of course the lake is what makes Lugano. It is such a beautiful lake, dramatically surrounded by the mountains, and with... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Lugano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to my home !"
- "Welcome to sunny Lugano"
- "LUGANO -BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL"
- "Lugano - a day trip to Ticino"
- "Welcome to my hometown, Lugano!"
- "MY BEST VACATION"
- "simply my backyard"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lugano
- Hotels in Lugano
- Transportation in Lugano
- Nightlife in Lugano
- Restaurants in Lugano
- Shopping in Lugano
- Warnings and Dangers in Lugano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lugano
- 18 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Lugano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lugano
Photos in LuganoSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bournemouth Intro, 24 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halle Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heidelberg Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue