"Meersburg - cute lakeside town" Top 5 Page for this destination Meersburg by ettiewyn
Meersburg Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 193 photos
When I visited a friend in Konstanz for three days, we did a small trip to Meersburg. Meersburg can easily be reached from a lot of places at Lake Constance, and thus, it was a perfect destination.
It was a beautiful, sunny day and I just loved the town. It was so pretty and cute and there were interesting sights, although we did not have much time and did not see all of them.
It was very nice to stroll around, though, and to enjoy the atmosphere.
The picture was taking at the gate to the lower town, it says "To the lower town". I found this so quaint and wonderful :-)
For almost three hundred years, Meersburg was the residence of the prince bishops of Konstanz, who first lived in the fortress and later in the New Castle (Neues Schloss). The town centre consists of the Oberstadt (upper town) and the Unterstadt (lower town), connected by a very steep street and several staircases.
It is supposed that the name of the town does not originate from the word Meer, meaning sea, but from Merte, meaning Martin in Alemannic.
Meersburg is famous for its beautiful location at the lake and its wineries, and in Germany, it is a famous tourist destination. It is also known because Annette von Droste-Hülshoff lived here, one of the most famous German woman writers. You can learn more about her in one of my Things To Do tips.
I think that Meersburg makes a perfect daytrip if you are staying in the area - I would love to go back!
- Pros:Beautiful lakeside town, historic sights, lovely atmosphere
- Cons:Steep streets!
- In a nutshell:Colourful and pretty, but also culturally and historically interesting!
This area of Lake Constance is much intertwined with the history of aviation, especially zeppelins. It was in nearby... more travel advice
In the Unterstadt (lower town), there is Meersburg's pretty promenade. You can walk along the shore here and also walk... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Meersburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Meersburg - cute lakeside town"
- "Meersburg Off-Season"
- "Come dancing in Meersburg!"
- "Life on Lake Constance"
- "Meersburg - Medieval Town"
- "One of the Touristic Hot Spots on Lake Constance"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Meersburg
- Hotels in Meersburg
- Transportation in Meersburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Meersburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meersburg
- 12 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Meersburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meersburg
Photos in MeersburgSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 76 reviews, 254 photos, 7 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bad Hersfeld Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bournemouth Intro, 24 reviews, 75 photos
Latest Meersburg hotel reviews
- Hotel Seehof
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2012