"Naumburg - a lovely surprise" Top 5 Page for this destination Naumburg by ettiewyn
Naumburg Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 129 photos
You may wonder about the title of this page, but it expresses exactly what Naumburg was to me. A vey lovely surprise!
When I visited Halle and the Sky Paths with my dad in summer 2011, Naumburg was not plannend but came up as spontaneous idea. My dad remembered that he had heard about a famous cathedral there, and so we decided to pay the town a visited.
I had never even heard of Naumburg, but I really loved it. We were there on a perfect day, sunny, but not too hot. The town was full of visitors because a festival was taking place, and it reminded me of a small Salzburg or Heidelberg. It looked so friendly and pretty and it was nice to stroll around. There was a historic atmosphere all over the place. The cathedral was very impressive and beautiful, too.
Naumburg is located at the river Saale, where the river Unstrut meets it. It was a very good location for a settlement, and there have even been vineyards since the Middle Ages. The town has an interesting history because it had both a strong clergy and many tradespeople and free citizens. This is represented in the two places of worship: St Peter and Paul, the bishop's cathedral, and St Wenzel, the church of the independent town.
First documentary evidence of Naumburg is of 1012 when Ekkehard von Meißen, the margrave of the region, decided to make a new residence here. This is how the name developed: Nuwenburg, meaning "Neue Burg", "New Fortress", became Naumburg in the course of time.
The centre of the town was renovated very carefully after the reunification. The main sightseeing areas are the marketplace and the cathedral, which are connected by the pretty Steinweg ("Stone Alley").
- Pros:A very pretty town with a famous cathedral
- Cons:There were really loads of tourists, but maybe that was due to the festival
- In a nutshell:I want to visit again with more time!
Naumburg Cathedral - proper name: St Peter and Paul - was the main reason why my dad wanted to visit Naumburg. And... more travel advice
Steinweg is a small alley that leads from the marketplace to the cathedral. All houses are beautifully restaurated and... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Naumburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Town of Two Churches"
- "Naumburg - a lovely surprise"
- "Welcome to NAUMBURG"
- "Naumburg/Saale - town on the shore of Saale river"
- "My Naumburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naumburg
- Hotels in Naumburg
- Transportation in Naumburg
- Restaurants in Naumburg
- Shopping in Naumburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Naumburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Naumburg
- 10 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Naumburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naumburg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Anticipating the Pioneer Badges"
- Commented on one of ettiewyn's Naumburg tips
- updated a Naumburg Travel Page "Naumburg - a lovely surprise"
- Wrote a Review St Peter and Paul - cathedral and donor statues in Naumburg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "St Peter and Paul - cathedral and donor statues"
Photos in NaumburgSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 76 reviews, 254 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bad Hersfeld Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 25 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (46)
Latest Naumburg hotel reviews
- Center Hotel Kaiserhof
- 1 Review & Opinion