"Neandertal - home of the famous stone age man" Neandertal by ettiewyn

Neandertal Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 18 photos

An afternoon in Neandertal was another of those short trips my dad took me on. He is very interested in the stone age, and if he asks me I always accompagny him to stone age-related destinations, although it is not my personally favourite period.

Neandertal was a destination I really enjoyed. On the one hand I really liked the Neanderthal Museum, on the other hand the valley is very pleasant and I enjoyed a walk in the forest to enjoy the beautiful nature.
Neanderthal is an old speeling of the name, the town now officially is named Neandertal without "h", but the museum uses the old name in relation to the name of the species: Homo neanderthalensis.

In the main picture you see a statue greeting you at the entrance of the museum. It is a correct reconstruction of what the Neanderthal Man looked like, based on genetic evidence.

The Neandertal (Neander Valley) is a valley near Düsseldorf in Northrhine Westphalia. It was once even more beautiful and a favourite destination of artists in the 19th century, but then most of it was destroyed for chalk mining. During the process of mining, the bones of an ancient man were found - and it turned out that they had found an extinct human race, the homo neanderthalensis.
The Neanderthal people lived about 120,000 to 30,000 years ago. They were relatives of Homo Sapiens, but a distinct species. The discovery soon became world famous, and it was especially important because it gave new support to Darwin's theory.

I am not writing more about it because I simply are not knowledgeable enough, but there are of course a lot of books and websites dedicated to the topic!

• Pros:A great museum and a beautiful forest, close to Düsseldorf and the Ruhr Area
  • Cons:Besides those two things it is very sleepy
  • In a nutshell:Worth a short trip if you want to learn about the stone age!
  • Last visit to Neandertal: Nov 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 13, 2011

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Hia, Thanks for the Salisbury visit. I loved reading about your visit to Neandertal - really interesting tips, the animal enclosure is really unique and the horses look really cute in your pics! Best Wishes from Wales.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2011 at 5:11 AM

Oh sweet memories :-) My aunt lives very close and when I was a kid we all went there quite often. My cousins had their Kommunion lunch there. Interesting to see how it looks now! And I am wondering what future species think about our life when they find us one day :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2011 at 5:06 AM

Nice new page about the Neanderthal with or without the h. Too bad you weren’t able to join us for the VT meeting in Karlsruhe this past weekend.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Really interesting destination, and so close to Dusseldorf.

ettiewyn

“Happy as a frog on a tap :-)”

Badges & Stats in Neandertal

Have you been to Neandertal?

Latest Activity in Neandertal