"Hallstatt - Picturesque UNESCO village" Top 5 Page for this destination Hallstatt by ettiewyn
Hallstatt Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 719 photos
I had never really heard of Hallstatt, but when I was doing research for a possible daytrip from Salzburg, I saw a picture of it and was immediately sure that I wanted to go! And I did not regret it. It is an absolutely beautiful place, with a pleasant atmosphere, interesting sights and spectacular scenery and surroundings. And I say this although we have been there in terrible rain, it rained throughout the whole of the three hours we spend there! I can only imagine how wonderful it must be in sunshine.
As we spent only three hours here, of course it was not enough to really appreciate the place. But because Hallstatt is a very small place, it was sufficient to have a stroll around and see the main sights, and appreciate some of the great views.
Hallstatt is a small village with a little more than 800 inhabitants and it is located at the foot of some huge mountains. It is a totally picturesque location, but of course it also poses many difficulties because there is only limited space and access is somewhat difficult. During the 19th century, you could only reach it by boat or by mountain trails! The houses at the shore were built so narrow that there was no space between them and you had to access them all from the attics, walking over all the attics to get to the other side of the village!
Because of the salt deposit in the area, people started to seddle here at around 5000 B.C. From 800 B.C. until 500 B.C. there was the Hallstatt culture, an advanced Iron Age civilisation that developed because of the salt mines and the trade and wealth that came with it. This is what made Hallstatt world-famous after remains of this culture were found in the 19th century!
Hallstatt got the UNESCO heriatage status in 1996 because of this outstanding history.
- Pros:Beautiful, interesting and unique!
- Cons:None I can see.
- In a nutshell:"The pearl of Austria"
Hallstatt is a very pretty village and it is just nice to stroll along the little alleys and have a look. There are a... more travel advice
Next to the church there is a beautiful cemetary. The graves are very small because at this location at the slopes of... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Hallstatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hallstatt . . . my inspiration"
- "Heavenly Hallstatt......."
- "Hallstatt - Picturesque UNESCO village"
- "Hallstatt...it’s paradise!"
- "Beautiful Hallstatt"
- "Historical, magical, beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hallstatt
- Hotels in Hallstatt
- Transportation in Hallstatt
- Nightlife in Hallstatt
- Restaurants in Hallstatt
- Shopping in Hallstatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Hallstatt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hallstatt
- 12 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Hallstatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hallstatt
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Anticipating the Pioneer Badges"
- updated a Hallstatt Travel Page "Hallstatt - Picturesque UNESCO village"
- Commented on one of rexvaughan's Hallstatt travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Impressions of Hallstatt"
- Wrote a Review Take warm clothing! in Hallstatt What to Pack
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 76 reviews, 254 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bad Hersfeld Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 25 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (46)
Latest Hallstatt hotel reviews
- Pension Hallberg
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2012
- Seehotel Gruner Baum
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 7, 2013
- Gasthof Simony
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Gasthof Zauner
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Gasthof Hirlatz
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 27, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion