"Wonderful Salzburg!" Salzburg by ettiewyn
Salzburg Travel Guide: 2,579 reviews and 5,926 photos
I have visited Salzburg three times: Twice as a teenager with my parents, as daytrips during our family holidays in Steiermark (Styria), and the third time as a five day trip with my mom in July 2010. Salzburg is my mom's favourite town and so I was happy to organize a trip for her!
Of course Salzburg is most famous as Mozart's birthplace, and also as location of the movie The Sound of Music (which in fact I have never seen, I think it is much more famous overseas than it is in Europe). But there is so much more to Salzburg!
The town has a very rich history, with proud and mighty archbishops, many artists and its famous festival season. There is something to discover in every corner, it is so full of architecture and culture. Getreidegasse is the most famous street, but if you have enough time, you should try to leave the tourist places and explore a little more.
With all its churches and historical buildings Salzburg is very beautiful. Its dominant colour is white, and especially in sunshine, it seems as if the whole town is shimmering in the sun. It is organised by its five main squares (Residenzplatz, Alter Markt, Mozartplatz, Kapitelplatz and Domplatz), so remember that "Platz" means square. My tips will often refer to the squares as locations.
Salzburg on foot - walking tours
The town of Salzburg is not that big, so it can be easily explored on foot. I have developed four different walking tours that allow you to conveniently visit sights that are located in the same area and might save you some planning. So if you are interested in that, have a look at my General tips:
Walking Tour 1: Old town - centre
Walking Tour 2: Around the Fortress
Walking Tour 3: North of the Salzach
Walking Tour 4: The northern part of the centre - along the Salzach
My special recommendations
When I look at pages that are a bit bigger, I sometimes feel a little overwhelmed by all the information. Sometimes you also have only limited time...
That is why I decided to put up a "Top 7" on my bigger pages, listing the seven attractions that I personally find the most unique or valuable and that I would really like to make people consider.
So for Salzburg, these are:
My favourite place in Salzburg, though rather a smaller attraction , is the beautiful Pferdeschwemme (Horse Wash).
What you really should not miss is the impressive cathedral with its beautiful façade and its stunning interior.
Very interesting and a must do on a trip to Salzburg is St. Peter's Church with its cemetary and the catacombs - this is where the history of Salzburg started!
You should also visit the Fortress - see the historical fortifications and enjoy spectacular views of the town. I have written several more tips on it!
Residenzplatz is a bustling square next to the cathedral with wonderful views on the cathedral and a great fountain.
Kollegienkirche is my favourite church after the cathedral. I love its beautiful façade.
Salzburg is so much connected to Mozart - I like Mozart's Residence much more than his birthplace.
- Pros:A historical and beautiful town, so much to discover
- Cons:Very crowded and "touristy" in certain places
- In a nutshell:So much more than Mozart - I love it!
Getreidegasse is THE street in Salzburg. It is where absolutely every tourist goes, so it is very busy, very expensive... more travel advice
Mozartplatz is a square located very close to the river, next to Waagplatz. Here you can find the Mozart-Denkmal, a... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Salzburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mozarts Music and Mozart's Kugeln & Nockerl"
- "The Hidden Wonders of Salzburg - A MUST SEE!"
- "One order of Salzburg, please . . ."
- "Fairyland for Real......"
- "SALZBURG - A CITY I LOVED!"
- "Salzburg and the central Austria lake region."
- "Mozart Music and More"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salzburg
- Hotels in Salzburg
- Transportation in Salzburg
- Nightlife in Salzburg
- Restaurants in Salzburg
- Shopping in Salzburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Salzburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salzburg
- 7 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Salzburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salzburg
- Commented on one of ettiewyn's Salzburg travel pages
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Anticipating the Pioneer Badges"
- updated a Salzburg Travel Page "Wonderful Salzburg!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "More pictures of Mirabell Gardens II"
- Wrote a Review Getreidegasse about Getreidegasse in Salzburg Things to Do
Photos in SalzburgSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bournemouth Intro, 24 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halle Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heidelberg Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (45)
Latest Salzburg hotel reviews
- CD City Art Hotel Salzburg
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- CD Salzburg
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Institut St Sebastian
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Hotel Goldene Ente GMBH
- 235 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- JGH Hostel Salzburg
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Hotel Trumer Stube
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- NH Carlton Salzburg
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Radisson Blu Hotel & Conference Centre
- 281 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Alpenland Sporthotel
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Hotel Sacher Salzburg
- 420 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Hotel Lasserhof
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Bristol Hotel Salzburg
- 310 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Haus Am Moos
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Hotel Gerl
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 19, 2013
- Hotel-Pension Bloberger Hof
- 374 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013