"Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut" Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut by ettiewyn
Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 352 photos
Sankt Wolfgang is probably the most famous town in the Salzkammergut. We came here as part of a day trip and spent about two hours in the town, and then did a cruise to Sank Gilgen. Of course two hours is not a lot, but it was sufficient to see the main sights of the town and as we liked the other places on the tour much better, we did not have a problem with the short time.
The town is named after Saint Wolfgang who lived here in the 10th century and is subject of many legends. The place became famous because he did many mircale cures and so people started to make pilgrimage to the church that was built at the lake. In the 15th and 16th century it was one of the pilgrimage centres of Europe and this is when the famous altar of Michael Pacher was constructed and brought here.
Another form of tourism started in 1873 when the first steamer started cruises on Wolfgangsee. When the emporer made his residence in nearby Bad Ischl, more and more tourists came to the area to have a glimpse of the glamour, and with the operetta "Im Weißen Rössl am Wolfgangsee" it reached its peak. You can learn more about the operetta and the "Weißes Rössl" in this Things To Do tip.
Thus, there are many things that make Sankt Wolfgang one of the most famous destinations in Austria: Its history, a popular operetta, religious pilgrimage and its fantastic location at the beautiful lake Wolfgangsee. However, I personally liked the other towns in the Salzkammergut much more because they were more authentic and less crowded and posh. But it still is a nice place and I recommend the cruise very much!
- Pros:Great location at the beautiful lake, famous altar in the church
- Cons:Typical tourist place, very expensive and posh
- In a nutshell:No matter what the operetta says - it is a nice place, but I did not "lose my heart" here ;-)
When doing the boat trip from Sankt Wolfgang to Sankt Gilgen, have a look at the right hand side after having left Sankt... more travel advice
When you stroll around a town, pay attention to the walls of the buildings - some are painted beautifully in a... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Sankt Wolfgang Page"
- "Sankt Wolfgang - Stunning Salzkammergut Sceneries"
- "Sankt Wolfgang"
- "It's clear - one of my top 5 destination to relax"
- "Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut
- Hotels in Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut
- Transportation in Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut
- Nightlife in Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut
- Restaurants in Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut
- Shopping in Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut
- Warnings and Dangers in Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut
- 10 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Anticipating the Pioneer Badges"
- Commented on one of ettiewyn's Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut travel pages
- updated a Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Travel Page "Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut"
- Wrote a Review What I still have to do... in Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Favorites
Photos in Sankt Wolfgang im SalzkammergutSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 76 reviews, 254 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bad Hersfeld Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 25 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (46)
Latest Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut hotel reviews
- Hotel Seerose Garni
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 10, 2012
- Hotel Schwarzes Rossl (The Black Horse)
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2012
- Hotel Gasthof Weisser Bar
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 23, 2013
- Hotel Furian
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 17, 2013
- Romantikhotel Im Weissen Roessl
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013