"Aberfeldy - Whisky and the Sma' Glen" Aberfeldy by ettiewyn

Aberfeldy Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 25 photos

Aberfeldy was the last town we visited on our day tour. We stopped here to visit Dewar's World of Whisky, doing a tour in the distillery as well as seeing the museum and doing a whisky tasting. I usually am not interested in alcohol, but everybody told me that this was a quintessential part of a trip to Scotland, so I decided to do it and it was a positive surprise! I really enjoyed the tour and found it very interesting, so it was an enjoyable experience although I must say that I like the smell of whisky more than its taste :-)

Apart from Dewar's we did not see anything of Aberfeldy, so I cannot write more about the town itself. On the way south to Edinburgh we stopped at the Sma' Glen which does not belong to any particular town - as it is about 20km south of Aberfeldy, I have included the tip in this page.

Aberfeldy was the last stop of a guided tour I did from Edinburgh, called "Highland Lochs, Glens and Whisky". If you would like to go to the first stop of the tour, visit my Dunkeld page.

• Pros:An interesting distillery that does great tours
  • Cons:?
  • In a nutshell:I cannot comment on the town itself, but the distillery is great, as is the nearby Sma' Glen
  • Intro Updated Jul 8, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Mirjam, thanks for including the link to ‘The Birks of Aberfeldy’ – one of the few songs on YouTube that has not been blocked in Germany by the GEMA.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Hicks... :-) It was interesting to read about the distillery and I first thought that this Dewar family invented the "Dewar" (used in chemistry to provide thermal insulation), but is not, however the inventor was also Scottish. The tour company sounds good, I like it when they have smaller busses and don't include expensive lunches!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
      Sep 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM

The Scottish are great inventors for sure!
      Yes, I agree, I don't want to pay so much for food I don't really need anyway! Thank you for joining me on this tour here on VT, and for all the nice comments :-))

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Another fabulous little page about your adventures in Scotland. - Although I have been to the country twice I must admit that I never visited a whisky distillery. - I especially like your tip about the guided tour. Interesting to read that you were only two people on the tour.

ettiewyn

“Happy as a frog on a tap :-)”

Badges & Stats in Aberfeldy

Have you been to Aberfeldy?

Photos in Aberfeldy