"The pleasant town of Brecon" Brecon by ettiewyn
Brecon Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 114 photos
I really liked the small town of Brecon, it is a very friendly and historical town, with colourful, pretty houses. It lies within the Brecon Beacons National Park, a wonderful region of rugged and wild mountains - probably not as spectacular as the north of Wales, but still a fantastic and fascinating landscape!
I went to Brecon and the Brecon Beacons for one day: In the morning I took the bus from Cardiff to Brecon and stayed here till after lunch, then I took the bus again to nearby Libanus to do some hiking, and went back to Cardiff in the evening.
Brecon is located where the rivers Usk and Honddu meet, therefore its Welsh name is Aberhonddu - aber is the word for the place where a river flows into another river, as in Aberdeen or Aberfeldy. The name Brecon derives from the Irish king Brychan who came here in the 5th century and married a Welsh princess. In the 11th century, the Normans settled in the area and built a castle here, the remains of which can still be seen towering about Brecon.
Today, the most important building is the cathedral, though. It is one of the highlights of a visit to Brecon, but when I think of my lovely day there, I mostly remember the nice atmosphere and the friendly locals, the sunshine and the pleasant town centre.
- Pros:A very pretty town, gateway to the Brecon Beacons
- Cons:No train station
- In a nutshell:A very pleasant town to visit, one of the many highlights of my trip to Wales!
The thing I remember most fondly of Brecon is just strolling through the town, without a map, just enjoying the... more travel advice
Brecon Cathedral is probably the one MUST DO for most tourists when they are in town, and I agree, it certainly is worth... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Brecon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The pleasant town of Brecon"
- "In the Midst of the Brecon Beacons"
- "Brecon, A Market town at the heart of the Beacons"
- "BRECON, U.K."
- "Brecon My home town"
- "In the Brecon :)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brecon
- Hotels in Brecon
- Transportation in Brecon
- Restaurants in Brecon
- Shopping in Brecon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brecon
- 16 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Brecon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brecon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bournemouth Intro, 24 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zülpich Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Duisburg Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues