"Rugged beauty of the Brecon Beacons" Top 5 Page for this destination Brecon Beacons National Park by ettiewyn

When I planned my trip to Wales and first read about the Brecon Beacons, I knew at once that I wanted to go there! I think that one of the images of Wales you have in mind is an image of rugged, untouched wilderness... While this is probably more true of the northwest of the country, the Brecon Beacons are a wild part of southern Wales where you can find it.

I read the description in my guidebook and really wished to go there, so I booked a guided day trip, but only one day before the trip was scheduled, the company cancelled. I went to the tourist information, and fortunately they told me that it was possible to do a day trip to the Brecon Beacons on my own, taking a bus to the country town of Brecon and then to the mountain centre in Libanus to do some hiking.
I was very thrilled and the following day, I did as they said and enjoyed a wonderful day in the Brecon Beacons! Such a day trip is very easily organized on your own, there is absolutely no need to do a guided tour. I think that it is a fantastic day trip opportunity if you are staying in Cardiff and want to get out of the city for a day.

The Brecon Beacons really are a wonderful area, and I enjoyed the landscape very much: Barren, scarce and harsh, but with a special kind of beauty, very friendly people, and great hiking possibilities.
Close to the village of Libanus the Mountain Centre is located, which is the main visitor centre of the National Park. Of course visiting here means that you see only a very small section of the Brecon Beacons - altogether, the National Park is 1344sq.km large! The area around Libanus has some big advantages, though: It can easily be reached by public transport from Cardiff, it is close to the wonderful town of Brecon, and also close to Pen y Fan. Pen y Fan is the highest mountain of the park, and indeed in Southern Britain - it is 886m high and a real icon, with its particular shape and stern charisma.
I was not really prepared for my day trip and had not expected to see Pen y Fan from here, so I was really fascinated and thrilled. While having a drink at the Mountain Centre, and later hiking to Twyn y Gaer, I had full view of Pen y Fan all the time - it was fascinating and made me think: Wow, I really AM in Wales!!!

The name Brecon derives from the Irish king Brychan who came here in the 5th century and married a Welsh princess. The legend says that he had twelve sons and twenty-four daughters, and he shared his land out between them before his death without any fight or battle. My guide books says that the region still looks as if it came out of a legend - and well, I think that is true. To make sure that it does not change, it was turned into a National Park in 1957.

My short hike here really was not enough, and the Brecon Beacons are a place I definitely want to return to. They just captured my heart!

• Pros:A wonderful landscape, great hiking, spectacular views.
  • Cons:It's a long walk from the bus stop to the mountain centre, and the advise staff gave to me was not too good. Better sign posting is needed.
  • In a nutshell:I long to return to this special region with more time at hand!
  • Last visit to Brecon Beacons National Park: Mar 2012
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2012

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Great photos and descriptions of this wild scenery. It is exactly the sort of landscape I enjoy - reminds me I must go back to the Brecon Beacons area some day! Good practical advice about walking routes and timings too (maybe you should get a job in that Mountain Centre to give more accurate advice lol)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Excellent tips and photos of your experience in Brecon Beacons National Park! You have some really amazing photos of this unique place with its unusual landscape. Like you, I too enjoy walking and especially when the surroundings are different from most other locations one would visit. Great tips on how not to trust the local 'guides' instructions!

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Anothr nice page!

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Thanks for sharing! Great tips!x

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2012 at 1:00 PM

It didn't look nice when I was there either.

ettiewyn

“Happy as a frog on a tap :-)”

Badges & Stats in Brecon Beacons National Park

Have you been to Brecon Beacons National Park?

Latest Activity in Brecon Beacons National Park