"Mai Dun, Durnovaria and Dorchester..." Dorchester by ettiewyn
Dorchester Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 163 photos
When I stayed in Bournemouth for ten days during my UK trip, I went to Dorchester for one day. At first I wanted to go there simply because it sounded like a nice place, but later I found out about something I really wanted to see: Maiden Castle, the biggest iron age hill fort in Europe!
I took the train to Dorchester in the morning and first explored the town centre and visited two museums, in the afternoon I went to Maiden Castle and another historical place, Maumbury Rings, before returning to Bournemouth in the evening.
Of course reminders of history are quite visible in most English towns, but in Dorchester maybe even a little more than elsewhere. Ok, there is no great cathedral, no castle, and the town centre is not as picturesque as in other towns I have seen. However, if you are interested in history Dorchester has so much to offer. Mai Dun, now called Maiden Castle, is an outstanding place that bears witness of the skills and life of the iron age people. When the Romans invaded this area, they founded the town of Durnovaria, and there are many interesting attractions left from this period, the highlight being the Roman Town House with its beautiful mosaics.
And then the Dorchester of modern times, with its connections to the famous writer Thomas Hardy!
To sum up, Dorchester is certainly worth a visit if you are interested in Roman and prehistoric history, or if you want to learn about the literary heritage of Dorset. As I said, it is not as picturesque as for example Winchester, but it is still a pretty town with its river, its small churches and tree-lined streets!
- Pros:So much history and pretty places to see, and outstanding Maiden Castle!
- Cons:Busses to Maiden Castle do not go often
- In a nutshell:Discover three different historical cities within one :-)
Maiden Castle is an Off The Beaten Path destination in the south of the town centre which is not visited by that many... more travel advice
Dorset County Museum is one of the main sights in Dorchester and it shows many things of very different topics connected... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Dorchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mai Dun, Durnovaria and Dorchester..."
- "Hardy's Town"
- "Athelhampton House and Gardens,Dorset"
- "Dorchester ~ Thomas Hardy land"
- "Maiden Castle and so much more (or so I hear)!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dorchester
- Hotels in Dorchester
- Transportation in Dorchester
- Restaurants in Dorchester
- Shopping in Dorchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Dorchester
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dorchester
- 29 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Dorchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dorchester
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Anticipating the Pioneer Badges"
- updated a Dorchester Travel Page "Mai Dun, Durnovaria and Dorchester..."
- Wrote a Review Maiden Castle in Dorchester Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Maiden Castle - Walk along the outer ramparts"
- Commented on one of Sjalen's Dorchester travel pages
Photos in DorchesterSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bournemouth Intro, 24 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halle Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heidelberg Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue