"Doune Castle" Doune Castle by ettiewyn
Doune Castle Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 12 photos
Doune Castle was the first stop of the best day tour I did in Scotland, and I enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately, the castle was closed, but it was still interesting to see the exterior, and I also enjoyed a short stroll along the River Teith.
Doune Castle is a proper medieval castle, but it became especially famous because it was a filming location of Monty Python and the Holy Grail - I have never seen that film, but of course I have heard about it!
I found the exterior of Doune Castle very interesting, and I would certainly like to visit the interior as well one day. You can reach the castle by bus from Stirling, so there is no need to take a tour.
Doune Castle was the first stop of a guided tour I did from Edinburgh, called "West Highland Lochs and Castles". If you would like to continue on the tour with me, visit the next stop, my Callander page.
- Pros:An interesting castle in pretty surroundings
- Cons:Limited opening times off season
- In a nutshell:Great to visit even if you don't know Monty Python :-)
Doune Castle was built in the 14th century on the foundations of a 13th century castle. It was built by Robert Stewart,... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Doune Castle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Doune Castle"
- "Doune Castle - Where you can borrow coconut shells"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Doune Castle
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Doune Castle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Doune Castle
Photos in Doune CastleSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 76 reviews, 254 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bad Hersfeld Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 25 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos