"Dunkeld - great history in a small town" Dunkeld by ettiewyn
Dunkeld Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 41 photos
Dunkeld was my first stop on my first tour in Scotland, so it was the first place I saw out of Edinburgh. And I think it is really suitable for a stop, I liked it very much and despite being so small, it has some interesting and beautiful thing to offer. We only spent about an hour in Dunkeld and its surroundings, so I am sure there are things we missed, but it still was a pleasant stop and enough time to take in the main sights and the calm atmosphere of the town.
I wondered why such a small town as Dunkeld had such an important status in the past, and reading about it I understood why. It is located right between the highlands and the lowlands, and so it was a perfect meeting place for highlanders and lowlanders, and the markets here were among the most important in Scotland, as they were the place of transit for goods from the highlands that were brought to the harbours of the lowlands.
Dunkeld was founded by Celtic monks who established a monastery here and later built the cathedral which in the middle ages was the most important cathedral after Glasgow and St Andrews. It was destroyed during the reformation, but still retains an impressive atmosphere.
Even apart from its history, Dunkeld is a nice place to visit. The cathedral is just beautiful to look at, idyllically located among green lawns and trees, on the banks of the River Tay. The town itself is very pretty with houses from the 17th and 18th century that have been preserved and restored. Close by is the Hermitage, a wonderful walk to the pretty Black Linn Falls - this romantic setting was one of the favourite haunts of some Romantic writers and painters.
As I said, I went to Dunkeld on a guided tour, but it is served by trains and busses from Perth and Inverness and thus is accessible by public transport.
Dunkeld was the first stop of a guided tour I did from Edinburgh, called "Highland Lochs, Glens and Whisky". If you would like to continue on the tour with me, visit the next stop, my Pitlochry page.
- Pros:A very pretty town with a great cathedral and nice walks
- Cons:Too many cars parking on the streets
- In a nutshell:Well worth a short visit and a fantastic stop on the way to the highlands!
The cathedral is Dunkeld's main highlight, although most of it is only in ruins today. It is hard to believe that such a... more travel advice
A stroll around Dunkeld is really worth it, there are many nice buildings. Dunkeld is popular because of its... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Dunkeld Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dunkeld - great history in a small town"
- "Dunkeld - Full of History"
- "Dunkeld- Ancient and Wonderful"
- "Gateway to the Highlands from the South East"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dunkeld
- 5 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Dunkeld?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dunkeld
Photos in DunkeldSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 76 reviews, 254 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bad Hersfeld Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 25 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (46)
Latest Dunkeld hotel reviews
- Hilton Dunkeld House
- 647 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013