"Manchester - a versatile city" Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester by ettiewyn
Manchester Travel Guide: 1,774 reviews and 4,181 photos
Why Manchester? I must admit that the first reason why I became interested in visiting Manchester was Old Trafford Stadium. Even in the days long before I got the travel bug, and long before I fell in love with British history and culture, I always said that I wanted to travel to Britain, but only to see London, Cornwall and Old Trafford Stadium! Somehow I had a fascination for this stadium since I became a football fan in 2002, and when I planned to finally travel to the UK, there was no hesitating - I wanted to go to Manchester and see it!
However, when I did more research, I quickly saw that there was much more to this city. First of all, a connection to one of my favourite writers, Elizabeth Gaskell, who lived in Manchester for many years. And moreover, good museums and galleries, a great cathedral, Roman sites, and the fantastic John Rylands Library.
Yes, Manchester is not the most beautiful of places, but I still liked it. It has its dirty corners and ugly buildings, but I felt well and relaxed there, I liked wandering around, and the people I met were very friendly and always happy to help. And behind the industrial sites and new, modern complexes, you can even find some historical gems!
- Pros:A nice city to explore, sights of many different kinds and interests, friendly people
- Cons:Some ugly corners, and I got lost several times
- In a nutshell:There is much more to it than I thought!
I must admit that Old Trafford Stadium was the biggest reason for me to visit Manchester. There are a number of stadiums... more travel advice
As the ending ...chester indicates, Manchester started out as a Roman town. A Roman fort named Mancunium was founded... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Manchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ben-UK's Manchester page"
- "My Manchester"
- "Manchester - Full of Surprises"
- "Manchester - a versatile city"
- "Manchester and the Christmas Markets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manchester
- Hotels in Manchester
- Transportation in Manchester
- Nightlife in Manchester
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Shopping in Manchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Manchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manchester
- 32 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Manchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manchester
- updated a Manchester Travel Page "Manchester - a versatile city"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Anticipating the Pioneer Badges"
- Commented on one of spidermiss's Manchester travel pages
- Wrote a Review Old Trafford about Old Trafford in Manchester Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Roman Manchester"
Photos in ManchesterSee All Photos (112)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bournemouth Intro, 24 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zülpich Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Duisburg Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues