"Manchester - a versatile city" Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester by ettiewyn

Manchester Travel Guide: 1,759 reviews and 4,078 photos

Why Manchester? I must admit that the first reason why I became interested in visiting Manchester was Old Trafford Stadium. Even in the days long before I got the travel bug, and long before I fell in love with British history and culture, I always said that I wanted to travel to Britain, but only to see London, Cornwall and Old Trafford Stadium! Somehow I had a fascination for this stadium since I became a football fan in 2002, and when I planned to finally travel to the UK, there was no hesitating - I wanted to go to Manchester and see it!

However, when I did more research, I quickly saw that there was much more to this city. First of all, a connection to one of my favourite writers, Elizabeth Gaskell, who lived in Manchester for many years. And moreover, good museums and galleries, a great cathedral, Roman sites, and the fantastic John Rylands Library.
Yes, Manchester is not the most beautiful of places, but I still liked it. It has its dirty corners and ugly buildings, but I felt well and relaxed there, I liked wandering around, and the people I met were very friendly and always happy to help. And behind the industrial sites and new, modern complexes, you can even find some historical gems!

• Pros:A nice city to explore, sights of many different kinds and interests, friendly people
  • Cons:Some ugly corners, and I got lost several times
  • In a nutshell:There is much more to it than I thought!
  • Last visit to Manchester: Feb 2012
  • Intro Updated Jul 7, 2012

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I only visited Manchester for one day and didn't see as much as you did. I would have liked to see Elizabeth Gaskell's House (but also when the interior is ready).

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
      Oct 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Thank you for visiting my page, Malena! Yes, Elizabeth Gaskell's House must be so lovely once it will be finished! I had three days in the city, so I had the chance to do quite a lot.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Excellent Manchester tips

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Oh my... I was in Manchester only once (for said football game) but I have missed so much!! Good that there might be a "next time" for me as well :-) Thanks for the tour, Mirjam :-)

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
      Sep 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Thank you, Ingrid! Manchester certainly has much more to offer than most people think! :-)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM

An excellent page - you have done such a thorough job, and really "sold" this under-visited city.
    I have to confess to being much more keen on Elizabeth Gaskell (and would love to visit her house), Emmeline Pankhurst, and on the John Rylands Library than I am on Manchester Utd - they're the team that fans of all other clubs love to hate!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Hi Mirjam, I really like your Manchester page. Especially the John Rylands Library looks really nice. I can understand your disappointment with the Peoples History Museum, especially if they have the attitude that now in the 21st century everything is all right. (What about poverty, unemployment, thieving bankers and summer riots?) There is a similar museum in Edinburgh that you might have gone to. Did you have the same feeling there?

• VT-lympics's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Great tips about Manchester, not sure I've seen all you have of my home town.
    Have you signed up for Vt-lympics virtual meet yet?

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Thanks for your comments on my Manchester page! Planning to return soon as I can! You've given me some ideas for places to visit - Whitworth Gallery, Manchester Museum, Ordsall Hall....I love the city so much!!!

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Interesting Manchester page, Mirjam! I like your museum tips and especially the John Rylands Library tip and travelogue. So many free places to visit too. The Old Trafford tour looks fun, I loved touring Liverpool FC's Anfield ground and the Manchester tour sounds quite similar. A day trip to Manchester later this summer beckons!
    Thanks for visiting my Edinburgh page too. I hope you enjoy yourself as much on your second visit! :D

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM

an interesting page ! I had no idea that there are even traces of Roman architecture there !

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Passion for football!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ettiewyn

“Happy as a frog on a tap :-)”

Badges & Stats in Manchester

Have you been to Manchester?

Latest Activity in Manchester