"A short visit to Penarth" Top 5 Page for this destination Penarth by ettiewyn

Penarth Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 132 photos

Penarth is a seaside town close to Cardiff. In the Victorian age it was a very fashionable destination, and many splendid old buildings still tell today's visitors about these times. It belongs to the Vale of Glamorgan and is located at the southern side of Cardiff Bay.
The sea defines the town very much, as on one side it is bordered by the beach and esplanade and on the other hand by Cardiff Bay, with a new and modern marina. Another very interesting place I visited was St Augustine Church, on a high hill between the sea and the bay, the highest point in the area.

My visit to Penarth was only a very short one - I had spent the day at Cardiff Bay and in the late afternoon walked over the Barrage to get to Penarth. The sun was already about to set, and I did not have much time, so I only visited a few places and left the rest for a later visit. If you would like to read more about the sights of Penarth, please visit the excellent pages by other VT members who know the town much better than I do.
Still, I enjoyed my short visit very much and also met several friendly locals because I did not have a map and needed to ask for the way all the time :-) I certainly liked the town and am looking forward to exploring more of it one day.

• Pros:Located by the sea, great church, very friendly locals
  • Cons:So hilly!
  • In a nutshell:I did not see enough of it and need to return!
  • Last visit to Penarth: Mar 2012
  • Intro Updated Apr 21, 2012

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2012 at 9:43 AM

What a loverly little seaside village! Yes, the photos in your link of St Augustine church look stunning!! Oh and Cosmeston Medieval Village sounds very interesting!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Nice that you got time to walk to Penarth along the Barrage. Great location of St Agustine Church, high on a hill, at least if you like walking.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Your short visit has produced an interesting page on Penarth -where my daughter lives and often sings in the Church - it has excellent acoustcs!
    You are tight about the gardens - in summer they are lovely - my mother used to love to sit there gazing out to sea and watching the passers by.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Good idea to walk or cycle along the barrage to get to Penarth.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Another lovely little page about your adventures in Wales. A walk across the Barrage seems to be a very good option to get to Penarth. I don't think that the promenade exisited when I visited Penarth several years ago.

ettiewyn

“Happy as a frog on a tap :-)”

Badges & Stats in Penarth

Have you been to Penarth?

Latest Activity in Penarth