"A short stop in Pitlochry" Top 5 Page for this destination Pitlochry by ettiewyn

Pitlochry Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 192 photos

Loch Faskally

Pitlochry was the second stop of my first day tour in Scotland. We stayed here for one and a half hours, and I visited the dam and the banks of Loch Faskally, then strolled along the main street and in the end visited the only interesting shop I found, Heathergems. For these activities, one and a half hours were sufficient.
I must admit that I was a bit disappointed with Pitlochry - the main street was so commercial, with lots of tacky shops, and to my mind it lacked a bit of character. I think that you must spend more time there - maybe even several days - to appreciate it. I read that there is a walk around Loch Faskally which must be very nice, as well as many more walks in the surrounding hills and mountains. Hiking is the number one activity here, and the many, many hiking shops along the main street show it. So I tend to think that the main attraction is not the town of Pitlochry itself, but the surroundings, and sadly I did not experience those. There is also a small distillery which sounds to be very nice, but we did not visit it.

Pitlochry became popular when Queen Victoria visited in 1842 and her doctor declared the air in the town to be outstandingly good. The fate of the town was sealed when the railway was built in 1863, and subsequently more and more tourists came here. Along Atholl Road, you can still see the row of uniform Victorian houses that were built in that time. According to my guidebook, there are still more hotels per square metre in Pitlochry than in any other place in Scotland!
There is another connection to Queen Victoria, the beautiful Queen's View close to Pitlochry - breathtaking scenery!

Pitlochry was the second stop of a guided tour I did from Edinburgh, called "Highland Lochs, Glens and Whisky". If you would like to continue on the tour with me, visit the next stop, my Fortingall page.

• Pros:A good stop on the way to the highlands, a loch close to town
  • Cons:Very touristic, I missed the salmon ladder because I visited when they are not there
  • In a nutshell:I did not spend enough time there to really appreciate the region
  • Last visit to Pitlochry: Feb 2012
  • Intro Updated Jul 8, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I think this place is somewhat further east than where my ancestors came from -- my Cameron ancestors, that is. They were all rounded up and sent to Canada during the Highland Clearances in 1801.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Lovely views and yes, Heathergems looks fascinating! I didn't know what to expect when I clicked the video link, but... wow, innovative methods!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
      Sep 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Yes, I thought it was amazing when I saw it! That's why I included the video, I think it is too hard to explain otherwise ;-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Sep 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Haha, I'd say even when one would explain it in words, it would still be difficult to understand that they make jewellry out of the dried wood!

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Your impressions square with mine. It's best feature is the surrounding countryside.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Finally some tips to be seen here. What an important point in your life it must have been to have seen your first loch in Scotland. *winkygrin*

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Need to revisit Pitlochry! Thanks for sharing! Dawn:D

ettiewyn

“Happy as a frog on a tap :-)”

Badges & Stats in Pitlochry

Have you been to Pitlochry?

Latest Activity in Pitlochry