"Milan - surprising and fascinating" Top 5 Page for this destination Milan by ettiewyn
Milan Travel Guide: 2,838 reviews and 7,129 photos
The trip to Milan was something very special because it was given to me as a present by my mom for finishing my university degree. It was a big surprise when I opened the envelope in December 2011, and what I saw was a picture of the Duomo - I slowly realized that this meant that my mom and me would go to Milan together!!! I think I never ever had a better surprise, and I felt incredibly happy for days and days afterwards. As my mom and me have only been able to do some short trips together for the last three or four years, it was very special for us to do this trip.
However, when I told others about the present, I realized that many of them did not understand why on earth we had chosen Milan. The reason for this is in fact quite a long story, but I will try and make it short: The truth is that AC Milan was the incentive for this trip, many many years ago... When I became a football fan in 2002, my mom and me were not particularly well and went through a tough time, but watching football always made us happy. When we watched the Champions League final in 2003, we said that one day we would travel to Milan and see where AC Milan was from... Dreams like that kept us going, and how wonderful that more than nine years later, it was possible that this dream came true!!! :-)
I did not really know what to expect of Milan, because as I said, most people asked me why on earth I had chosen exactly that city for my first trip to Italy. Many people told me that Milan was in fact not that nice, and so I wondered what I would think of it and if I would be disappointed. I was really curious and excited, and had no idea how it would be.
Now that I have been there, I can say that no, I was not disappointed. Milan is not the most beautiful city I have seen, but I did not expect that. While it might be not as beautiful, I still found many gems and interesting attractions, some very pretty areas, and some hidden charms and wonderful places. I try to show them to you on this page, and I hope that I can show that Milan is indeed worth a visit!
Altogether, we spent five days in Milan, but only three days in the city itself, as we did two day trips to other regions (one to Lago Maggiore and one to Lugano in Switzerland). As we visited in August, it was good to do those day trips to get out of the hot and stuffy city and to enjoy some fresh air and a better climate at the lakes, but on the other hand I would have loved to see more of Milan - we missed so much!
On this page, I have organized the Things To Do tips according to their location in Milan. That means that the tips are in this order:
1. Sights in the very centre of the city (tips 1 - 11)
2. Sights west and northwest of the city centre (tips 12 - 25)
3. Sights further away from the city centre (tips 26 - 30)
4. One tip about day trips (tip 31)
So this was it - my first trip to Italy!!!
- Pros:Interesting and fascinating sights, easy public transport, not many tourists away from the main highlights
- Cons:Very hot in August, some grubby areas
- In a nutshell:A fascinating city with many hidden gems! Not just the Duomo!
Sant' Ambrogio was another beautiful church that we visited in Milan. I was really fascinated by this church and its... more travel advice
When we walked along Corso Magenta, we also visited San Maurizio alla Monastero Maggiore, basically just because it was... more travel advice
- See All Roman ruins in Via Brisa
- Corso Vittorio Emanuele II
- See All To and from Milan by train
- See All Café in Stazione Centrale
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Milan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MILAN - As I've always wanted to visit"
- "Home sweet home!"
- "La Dolce Vita In Milano ;-)"
- "Milan - surprising and fascinating"
- "Milan l'è Milan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Milan
- Hotels in Milan
- Transportation in Milan
- Nightlife in Milan
- Restaurants in Milan
- Shopping in Milan
- Warnings and Dangers in Milan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Milan
- 54 Reviews
- 251 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Milan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Milan
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Anticipating the Pioneer Badges"
- Commented on one of ettiewyn's Milan travel pages
- updated a Milan Travel Page "Milan - surprising and fascinating"
- Uploaded a Photo to "More pictures of San Maurizio II"
- Wrote a Review Sant' Ambrogio about Sant' Ambrogio in Milan Things to Do
Photos in MilanSee All Photos (251)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bournemouth Intro, 24 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halle Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heidelberg Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue