"Milan - surprising and fascinating" Top 5 Page for this destination Milan by ettiewyn

Milan Travel Guide: 2,839 reviews and 7,127 photos

The trip to Milan was something very special because it was given to me as a present by my mom for finishing my university degree. It was a big surprise when I opened the envelope in December 2011, and what I saw was a picture of the Duomo - I slowly realized that this meant that my mom and me would go to Milan together!!! I think I never ever had a better surprise, and I felt incredibly happy for days and days afterwards. As my mom and me have only been able to do some short trips together for the last three or four years, it was very special for us to do this trip.

However, when I told others about the present, I realized that many of them did not understand why on earth we had chosen Milan. The reason for this is in fact quite a long story, but I will try and make it short: The truth is that AC Milan was the incentive for this trip, many many years ago... When I became a football fan in 2002, my mom and me were not particularly well and went through a tough time, but watching football always made us happy. When we watched the Champions League final in 2003, we said that one day we would travel to Milan and see where AC Milan was from... Dreams like that kept us going, and how wonderful that more than nine years later, it was possible that this dream came true!!! :-)

I did not really know what to expect of Milan, because as I said, most people asked me why on earth I had chosen exactly that city for my first trip to Italy. Many people told me that Milan was in fact not that nice, and so I wondered what I would think of it and if I would be disappointed. I was really curious and excited, and had no idea how it would be.
Now that I have been there, I can say that no, I was not disappointed. Milan is not the most beautiful city I have seen, but I did not expect that. While it might be not as beautiful, I still found many gems and interesting attractions, some very pretty areas, and some hidden charms and wonderful places. I try to show them to you on this page, and I hope that I can show that Milan is indeed worth a visit!

Altogether, we spent five days in Milan, but only three days in the city itself, as we did two day trips to other regions (one to Lago Maggiore and one to Lugano in Switzerland). As we visited in August, it was good to do those day trips to get out of the hot and stuffy city and to enjoy some fresh air and a better climate at the lakes, but on the other hand I would have loved to see more of Milan - we missed so much!

On this page, I have organized the Things To Do tips according to their location in Milan. That means that the tips are in this order:

1. Sights in the very centre of the city (tips 1 - 11)
2. Sights west and northwest of the city centre (tips 12 - 25)
3. Sights further away from the city centre (tips 26 - 30)
4. One tip about day trips (tip 31)

So this was it - my first trip to Italy!!!

• Pros:Interesting and fascinating sights, easy public transport, not many tourists away from the main highlights
  • Cons:Very hot in August, some grubby areas
  • In a nutshell:A fascinating city with many hidden gems! Not just the Duomo!
  • Last visit to Milan: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Sep 16, 2012

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Mirjam- Some excellent tips here. Wish I had read them first before going to Milan this May. I loved the City but was only there two nights. My MIlan pages are a work in progress.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2012 at 7:51 AM

A fantastic page you have got here. What a lovely present from your mother :)

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Thanks a lot for visiting this page, Regina! I am glad you liked it :-) Yes, it was such a wonderful present! :-)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM

A really interesting page with a lot of great infos and photos, Mirjam ! I also found these "helpers" at the ticket-machines at the station very anoying, they will finally ask you for 1 Euro for a coffee ! In a way a clever way to make a living, but they dont give the tourists a chance to try it themselves ! I finally took the bus to the airport, just in order to avoid these ticket-guys !

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Mirjam, very detailed and comprehensive page about Milan here. On our recent visit of the town we stayed in a hotel just next to the Stazione Centrale from where we could look down on the marvellous station building. - Interesting facts about the Pirelli Tower here. - Your accomodation tip is well worth reading. - Finally I really like your story about San Siro, although I prefer to visit the Borussia Park in Mönchengladbach. *winkygrin* - Still I must admit, that Milan is not among my favourite Italian towns.

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Hi Holger, thank you for visiting this page, even if you don't really like Milan :-) I am glad that you still enjoyed the page and especially the San Siro tips! Yes, I found the story of the Pirelli Tower rather interesting and therefore included it here :-)

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Mirjam- Your photos and descriptions of some of the well known and lesser known sites in Milan are outstanding! I will be going to Italy in April and your well documented tips will help significantly. Thank you and hope I didn't get too carried away reviewing too many things :)

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Hi Steven, thanks a lot for your nice comment and for visiting this page! I am glad the tips will be useful to you!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Mirjam, you’ve made a marvellous Milan page here. You certainly saw a lot in a short time, and wrote it up very nicely! Thanks for including a link to my Milan page in your opera house tip. (They did not convince you to become an opera fan? OK, we’ll have to keep working on that, LOL.)

I was interested in your comment on the two statues of Constantine that you saw in York and Milan, 2000 km apart, making you realize how big the Roman Empire really was. This is a feeling I have had, too. It’s amazing how they could keep such a huge empire together for centuries without radio, cell phones, GPS, or even the telegraph.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Thank you so much, Don! I am glad you enjoyed the page! And it is interesting to read that you had that feeling about the Roman Empire, too. I agree, it is absolutely amazing.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Thanks for sharing! Have to visit Milan some day:D

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM

We only had a day and a bit in Milan. It wasn't nearly enough but I liked what I saw :-) I do wish we had managed to see the Last Supper, after your fantastic description of your visit, and the Roman ruins under the Duomo, among other things. Never mind, I am sure we will go back one day, and when we do I will certainly recheck your excellent page for ideas :-)

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Thank you for visiting this page, Sarah :-) I hope you will make it back to Milan in the future!

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Excellent page indeed!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM

:-) Thank you dear Mirjam for this wonderful tour through Milan :-)) With all what you describe, I cannot help but also want to come back :-) Was there only once ages ago and later to connect trains. But you found so many gems - marvellous!! Thank you again!

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:39 AM

Thank you for reading my page and your comment, Ingrid! I am glad you enjoyed it and that it even made you wish to go back to Milan :-))

ettiewyn

“Happy as a frog on a tap :-)”

Badges & Stats in Milan