"Stresa - a beautiful town at Lago Maggiore" Top 5 Page for this destination Stresa by ettiewyn
Stresa Travel Guide: 157 reviews and 358 photos
In August 2012 I visited Milan for five days with my mom. It was my very first trip to Italy, and we wanted to do one or two day trips from Milan to see a little more of the region and get another impression. When I told VTer AnnemarieC about this during a VT meeting in London, she recommended Stresa to me. Her description sounded great, and although I did research about more places to visit from Milan, in the end I sticked to Stresa, also because I thought that my mom would enjoy it.
We went to Stresa by train and enjoyed two hours in the town before we set off to the Isole Borromee by boat. Stresa is popular because it is the main gateway to these islands, but it is also a travel destination in its own right. It was particularly famous in the 19th century, when many authors and artists visited here, for example Charles Dickens and Stendhal. In the 20th century, Ernest Hemingway was a frequent visitor. When you walk along the lakefront and enjoy the views of Lago Maggiore and the mountains, it is easy to imagine why these people loved Stresa: It is simply beautiful.
When we arrived in Stresa, we first had a coffee and a tea in a café in the train station, then we walked down and spent the rest of our time strolling along the lake front in the beautiful park before taking the boat to Isola Bella. We did not see much of the town centre, we only had a short glimpse of it when we came back from the islands. I don't think that there are any special attractions there, but it looked nice enough. In addition to this, there is also a funicular going up to nearby Mount Mottarone which must provide spectacular views of Lago Maggiore. We did not do this because time did not allow it, and my mom hates funiculars anyway.
This page is only about Stresa itself, not about the islands - these will be covered on a separate page!
- Pros:A beautiful location with great views, good tourist infrastructure, easy to reach from Milan
- Cons:Very crowded in high season
- In a nutshell:My first visit to the Italian lakes - memories to cherish forever!
When we arrived at the shore of the lake, we were fascinated by the wonderful views. Unfortunately it was very cloudy,... more travel advice
There are several statues and memorials along the lakefront, but this one caught my interest because it includes a... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Stresa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Lady of the Lake"
- "Stresa - a beautiful town at Lago Maggiore"
- "Lake Maggiore , The Beauty Of The Italian Lakes"
- "A Place Outside of Time"
- "Lake and mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stresa
- Hotels in Stresa
- Transportation in Stresa
- Restaurants in Stresa
- Shopping in Stresa
- Warnings and Dangers in Stresa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stresa
- 11 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Stresa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stresa
Photos in StresaSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bournemouth Intro, 24 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halle Intro, 23 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zülpich Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos