"Albury on the Murray River" Albury by ettiewyn
Albury Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 55 photos
Strictly speaking, Albury is not really a town on its own anymore, it is part of a twin town, Albury Wodonga. Albury is located in the state of New South Wales, while Wodonga is located in Victoria. As I spent most of my time in Albury and not in Wodonga, my page is about Albury.
Seeing the twin town today, it is hard to imagine that once these two towns were not on very friendly terms. Albury's beautiful, but somewhat pompous train station bears witness to that: It was constructed to show Albury's superiority over Wodonga, and therefore New South Wales' superiority over Victoria...
As the title of this page says, Albury is located on the Murray River, and this was the main reason why I visited here. The Murray is no doubt Australia's most famous river (maybe it's beaten by the Todd, so let's say: the most famous river with water in it!), and so I really wanted to see it.
The Murray is also called the Mississippi of Australia, and was very important during the gold rush: The gold was transported across the country on boats and steamers. In the town, you can still see some buildings of that period, and it is easy to dream of old, romantic days...
A walk by the river is a MUST, it is very peaceful and beautiful, and I liked it very much.
Albury itself does not have any blasting attractions, but is rather a calm, friendly country town. However, this was exactly what I had wanted. I came here almost straight from a very active tour through Tasmania and was seeking some solitude, and I found it as I was almost the only customer in the hostel, I did not see any other tourists in Albury, and it was just a very friendly and laid-back place. So I spent a few very relaxing and quiet days, visiting the sights of the town, chatting to some locals, stock up on groceries and just enjoying the place.
Most Australians are very friendly, but I must say that in Albury I met some of the very friendliest - maybe because they don't have to deal with tourists so much. My visit here really was different to staying in big cities and typical tourist destination, and it reminded me once again of why I love Australia so much.
- Pros:Friendly, laid-back country town, iconic river
- Cons:If you are after big attractions, this is not your place
- In a nutshell:One of my best memories!
Albury is located on the River Murray, and this was one of the main reasons why I had decided to visit the town: I... more travel advice
I visited the Botanic Gardens on a sunny afternoon and I liked them very much. They are quite small, and are a very... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Albury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Albury on the Murray River"
- "Albury, home of the iconic Ettamogah Pub"
- "Albury, NSW, Australia"
- "Beautiful Albury - please stop by!"
- "Important border twin city/Wodonga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Albury
- Hotels in Albury
- Transportation in Albury
- Restaurants in Albury
- Shopping in Albury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Albury
- 10 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Albury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Albury
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 76 reviews, 254 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bad Hersfeld Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 25 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (46)
Latest Albury hotel reviews
- Rydges Albury
- 125 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Country Comfort Hovell Tree Inn
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Elm Court Motor Inn
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Quality Resort Siesta
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Albury Townhouse Motel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Best Western Garden Court Motel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- Albury Golf Club Motor Inn
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 4, 2013
- Comfort Inn & Suites Georgian
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Albury Manor House
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Albury Regent Motel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Hume Country Motor Inn
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Allawa Motor Inn
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 10, 2013