"Mount Tamborine" Mount Tamborine by ettiewyn
Mount Tamborine Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 225 photos
I had booked a two day hiking trip to Lamington National Park and Springbrook National Park that also involved spending the night at a small rainforest lodge. Unfortunately this trip was cancelled two days before the date, due to heavy rainfalls in the area - going to the places would have been too dangerous.
I was of course sad that the tour was cancelled, and I had a hard time searching for an alternative - I really had wanted to do some real walking and hiking in the rainforest, but in Brisbane's tourist office I did not find anything like that. In the end I opted for a tour to Mount Tamborine and Lamington National Park - it did not involve any hiking, but at least a short walk in the rainforest during a visit to O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, a guest house located within Lamington National Park.
Please note: Mount Tamborine is spelled without an u - this is an error in the VT database!!!
Mount Tamborine is located in the green behind the gold, the green and lush area northwest of the Goald Coast. It is a region of green hills and valleys, dense rainforest, cute villages, small farms and vineyards. It is a real contrast to the glitter and consumerism of the Gold Coast!
Another plus is that it is not far from Brisbane and the Gold Coast, so a short trip to visit the rainforest is easily done if you are staying there.
The village Mount Tamborine is located on Tamborine Mountain, a plateau of 28squ.km. There are two more villages, Eagle Hights and North Tamborine. My pages cover some places in Eagle Hights and North Tamborine, and the surrounding area, but I have placed it here because it is all close to or on the mountain.
According to the official website, the name of the place has nothing to do with the instrument, but derives from a word of the local Yugambeh language, referring to a lime tree species growing here. The fruits of this tree were a thirst quencher for these Aboriginal people, and when the European settlers arrived, they traded with them. The Europeans made jam of it, and so the place got its name! The Yugambeh name is Wonglepong and refers to the echo that can be heard in the mountains.
A lot of people who live around Mount Tamborine lead quite an alternative life. Many grow their own food and veggies, many have horses or other animals, and there are also many artists. There are also many weekend homes of well-off people from Brisbane who come here to spend their free time.
I must say, though, that unfortunately I did not spend much time here, and the main stop was Gallery Walk, which was quite commercial and not really to my taste. I think that there must be much better ways to spend one's time here!
About 10km south of Mount Tamborine, the Canungra Valley starts. This is a beautiful area that is very green and does... more travel advice
Kamarun Lookout is a beautiful lookout on the way from Mount Tamborine to O'Reilly's. We only had a short stop here, but... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Mount Tamborine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE GOLD COAST HINTERLAND"
- "MOUNT TAMBOURINE"
- "Beautiful Mt. Tamborine"
- "A wonderful hinterland"
- "Mount Tambourine"
- "Tamborine Mountain Open Gardens 2009"
- "Mount Tamborine – A cool place to escape"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Tamborine
- Hotels in Mount Tamborine
- Restaurants in Mount Tamborine
- Shopping in Mount Tamborine
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Tamborine
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mount Tamborine
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Mount Tamborine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Tamborine
Photos in Mount TamborineSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 76 reviews, 254 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bad Hersfeld Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 25 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos