"Beautiful Bad Hersfeld" Bad Hersfeld by ettiewyn
Bad Hersfeld Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 138 photos
I had never heard of the town of Bad Hersfeld, until I was invited to an event taking place there. After doing a bit of research I was sure I wanted to go, not only because of the event, but to visit the town, as it seemed to be very nice.
And so it was! I had a fabulous meeting of the German Tolkien Society, with great music, lectures, discussions and food, but also had the time to explore Bad Hersfeld in depth and discover its sights.
Bad Hersfeld is probably most famous for its opera festival taking place every summer, because of this the town is called "The Hessian Salzburg" (referring to Salzburg in Austria with its famous opera and theatre festival). I did not see an opera, but strolling around the Stiftskirche I could hear the rehearsel of The Magic Flute - magnificent!
It is a spa town with an interesting and beautiful garden - so you can even do something for your health.
Bad Hersfeld is also important because two famous Germans were living and working here: Konrad Duden, who developed a dictionary of the German language that became the binding rule for Germany, Austria and Switzerland and still (in its later editions) is today, and Konrad Zuse, who invented the first fully automatic and freely programmed computer of the world (Z3).
But this is not all that one can discover in Bad Hersfeld: With its many framework houses, beautiful gardens and interesting history, it hides many treasures!
- Pros:Friendly little town, great architecture and history
- Cons:Can't see any
- In a nutshell:Why did I never hear of it before?
In front of the Katharinenturm, you can see the Duden-Zuse-Denkmal. Konrad Duden is the most famous citizen of Bad... more travel advice
The Hersfeld Museum is situated in an old abbey building right next to the Stiftsruine. It has three floors. The first... more travel advice
ettiewyn's Related Pages
Bad Hersfeld Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Bad Hersfeld"
- "Opera and cycling in Bad Hersfeld"
- "Bad Hersfeld - Home of the Oldest Party in Germany"
- "Only Sixteen, Alone in Germany."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bad Hersfeld
- Hotels in Bad Hersfeld
- Transportation in Bad Hersfeld
- Restaurants in Bad Hersfeld
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bad Hersfeld
- 31 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Bad Hersfeld?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bad Hersfeld
Photos in Bad HersfeldSee All Photos (101)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 94 reviews, 414 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 76 reviews, 254 photos, 7 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 54 reviews, 251 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 62 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bad Hersfeld Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isola Bella Intro, 22 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dorchester Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bournemouth Intro, 24 reviews, 75 photos