"Namibia Overview" Namibia by GrumpyDiver
Namibia Travel Guide: 2,211 reviews and 6,563 photos
Wildlife is one of the biggest draws for Namibia. Etosha National Park is probably the best known and one of the premiere wildlife viewing areas in Africa.
It is not the only place to see wildlife as some of the desert areas and some of the private concessions also are wonderful places to see the animals.
It is said that in most other countries, you have to do game drives to see wildlife, but in Namibia just sitting at the waterhole and waiting is the best approach.
The three most striking groups we saw were the Herero, with there magnificent hats and quasi-Victorian dresses, the Himba, where the women cover themselves (including their hair)in an ocre, butter and ash coating and of course the San (Bushmen) with their traditional subsistance lifestyle.
The “Land of Sand”. The famous ever-shifting sand dunes of Southern Namibia. Sossusvlei is an oasis amongst the dunes. The dunes themselves are some 200m to 300 m / 600 ft – 900 ft. high. The view at sunset is magnificent, but you either have to be an experienced sand driver with a high 4x4 vehicle or need to take a ride in for the last 5 or 6 km.
- Pros:You feel like you are doing a National Geographic photo shoot almost every day
- Cons:Dirt roads when wet are downright no fun to drive
- In a nutshell:The Land of Sand
The most unusual road surface I've ever driven on is the salt road that heads north from Swakopmund along the Skeleton... more travel advice
Namibia's first (and only) UNESCO World Heritage Site covers the rock carvings and paintings at a number of centres. The... more travel advice
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Namibia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Extreme World"
- "Namibia, an unknown yet unique African gem"
- "SAND, SUN AND SKYDIVING !!!!!"
- "Namibia - the dry paradise"
- "Namibian Safari"
- "Namibia - my introduction to Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Namibia
- Hotels in Namibia
- Transportation in Namibia
- Nightlife in Namibia
- Restaurants in Namibia
- Shopping in Namibia
- Warnings and Dangers in Namibia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Namibia
- 34 Reviews
- 179 Photos
- 55 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Namibia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Namibia
Videos in NamibiaSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 7 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue