"Koya-San - Temples Everywhere" Koyasan by GrumpyDiver
Koyasan Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 134 photos
On top of Mount Koya. this massive gate once protected the entrance to the town.
One of many temples in Koya-San. A massive collection of temples of the Shingon Buddhist sect. This temple had a giant gold-coloured Buddha inside. Unfortunately, no photography allowed, and they were watching.
Okunoin Cemetery is the largest cemetery in Japan. It contains the mausoleum of the Kōbō-Daishi, founder of the Shingon Buddhist sect.
- Pros:A chance to stay and eat in a Buddhist monastery
- Cons:Buddhist monks are vegetarians.
- In a nutshell:Too many temples...
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Koyasan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Holy Mount Koya"
- "Mt Koya: center of Shingon Buddhism"
- "Sacred Tourism"
- "The peaceful Kukai's retreat"
- "Two Days of Peace"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Koyasan
- Hotels in Koyasan
- Transportation in Koyasan
- Warnings and Dangers in Koyasan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Koyasan
- 1 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Koyasan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Koyasan
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gatineau Intro, 1 review, 44 photos, 5 travelogues